My Lotus journey continues...

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:55 am

Hi all

After selling my Plus 2, I have finally got myself another Lotus. What do you think?

Yellow Elise.jpg and

I should have it by the end of lockdown, whenever that is!

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 am

111S?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:29 am

No, it's a normal S1 with just 9500 miles on the clock. Sadly, not MMC, but I couldn't resist the mileage. It is like a new car, almost.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Well done Jon, that looks like a lot of fun! The colour makes it look irrepressably happy.

How does a car that age and that much fun not get driven more?

Wot's MMC?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:45 pm

Thanks Veg!

I always liked the bright yellow Lotuses. I'm not sure what this colour is called; it's definitely not Norfolk Mustard as appeared on the early S1s; that was a flat colour and this is metallic. But it looks pretty good to me.

No idea why it has such a low mileage, but the MOT (UK roadworthiness test) records bear it out and it's clean on the HPI check (UK vehicle check service - is it stolen, written off, has money owing on it, etc). That said, they were often bought as weekend toys and not used and while most do seem to have have high mileage - even higher than 50 year old classic Lotuses in some cases - there are still some low mileage examples if you are prepared to pay a premium. However, the premium (or shall we call it "price gap"?) is not as big as you might think. In the UK, prices for all S1s are creeping up and up, so I felt I'd better act now or never have one. Even an S1 with a poor history (crashed / repaired) is being punted for £14k, that is crazy.

Regarding "MMC", it refers to the early S1 brake disks and means "Metal Matrix Composite". They are aluminium / ceramic composite disks that, with special pads, work by means of adhesion rather than friction. As a result, they don't shed dust so your wheels stay clean, and they last forever, even as long as 100,000 miles. They are lighter than normal disks and have superior feel and response. The main down side is a lack of initial bite in the wet, which can catch out the unwary. The other downside is they are "unobtanium", not made any more. Second hand examples do turn up occasionally, but with eye watering prices (think £250 per disk, then another £200 for a full set of pads).

The company who produced them - Lanxide Corp. - stopped making them long ago. "Uneconomic" according to this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanxide_process

What a shame.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Good choice JonB
Though mine that I just finished putting together as it had some glass fibre damage, it also has about 5k miles. I sure do appreciate the S1. The S1’s are so rare here in N America. I was very close to importing a basket case, glad I held out for this S2 saffron yellow beauty.
Enjoy the confidence in road holding!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 pm

Nice car and probably a decent investment. With them hitting 25 years the early elise are now eligible for import to the US with out modification. So there suddenly a us market to buy/import these which will likely push process up a bit as cars cross 25 years old.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:00 pm

The Silverstone Classic is celebrating 25 years of the Elise this year.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:52 pm

£14K Is still cheep compared to what any decent federal Elise fetches, but then over here they sold new for similar money to a E-Class Mercedes. Makes me feel better about the fact that I don't fit comfortably in them.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:52 pm

Side on. How I expect to be cornering the beast.

Yellow Elise Side.jpg and

I was amazed to get an insurance quote, comprehensive, for £150 all in with 10,000 insured miles and an additional driver. No voluntary excess or no claims discount and free legal cover. Result.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Ready for action.

InkedReady_LI.jpg and
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Well done Jon. Very nice.

The Elise over here is taken pretty seriously, so bring it over and give it a track day!

https://www.111racingteam.fr

In a couple of weeks you could do Paul Ricard..!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Elise S1 is a great car, I bought an early MMC model which now sits proudly alongside the Elan S4, I'm biased but 2 of the best cars Lotus produced and each had a big part in saving Lotus I have been told.

SNBI5639.JPG and
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Rob P wrote:Elise S1 is a great car, I bought an early MMC model which now sits proudly alongside the Elan S4, I'm biased but 2 of the best cars Lotus produced and each had a big part in saving Lotus I have been told.

SNBI5639.JPG

Love it :D
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 am

So now, the conundrum.

This car has unusually low mileage - 9500 to be precise. And it is almost museum grade condition. I intend to drive it, but over the winter I think it'll be laid up in my garage which, despite my best efforts, still gets damp in winter, and in summer it's an oven. What is the most cost effective way of preserving a stored car? I'm thinking a tent or heated cocoon.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: