Who has had their Covid vaccine then?

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:41 pm

Although my wife and I are over 65 and registered on-line with the New Jersey Department of Health for COVID-19 vaccine we don’t seem to be able to get one.

We received an email last week saying we were approved to be vaccinated and given authorization to schedule our date. After more than an hour of trying unsuccessfully to confirm appointment we just gave up. Seems there isn’t enough supply for everyone approved.

Decided we will continue to stay at home and wait until the supply chain can actually deliver.

Unfortunately I doubt the world will have enough people vaccinated by the end of 2021 for this virus to be controlled by herd immunity. We will be into 2022 and possibly beyond before global effect is seen. Masks and vaccine “travel passports” will be a way of life for the foreseen future.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:09 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Seems to be a huge disparity between stateside and U.K. so far.

Quite a lot of disparity within USA too, with every state on their own to make a plan. I live in Georgia which is somewhere around Number 48-50 for vaccine distribution. Under the 4-tier system often cited over here I think I'm in the 4th tier: I am not a first responder, not a healthcare worker, not a resident of a care facility, not over age 65. In theory I'm an 'essential worker' but not even all that urgently. That said, my work requires A LOT of travel and so this does put me at risk both for catching it and for spreading it, but that doesn't seem to factor into how anybody has planned the distribution.

And due to differences in how states do things, I have heard cases of people traveling thousands of miles to try to get it! I'm in Los Angeles most of this week and last night's news had a story of a SoCal couple who drove all the way to Florida to try to game the system to get their shots.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MrBonus » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:29 pm

The Veg wrote:
elanfan1 wrote:Seems to be a huge disparity between stateside and U.K. so far.

Quite a lot of disparity within USA too, with every state on their own to make a plan. I live in Georgia which is somewhere around Number 48-50 for vaccine distribution. Under the 4-tier system often cited over here I think I'm in the 4th tier: I am not a first responder, not a healthcare worker, not a resident of a care facility, not over age 65. In theory I'm an 'essential worker' but not even all that urgently. That said, my work requires A LOT of travel and so this does put me at risk both for catching it and for spreading it, but that doesn't seem to factor into how anybody has planned the distribution.

And due to differences in how states do things, I have heard cases of people traveling thousands of miles to try to get it! I'm in Los Angeles most of this week and last night's news had a story of a SoCal couple who drove all the way to Florida to try to game the system to get their shots.

My step-father is in his 70s and a 1B person. They had a mass vaccination event for in-state reservation holders at the DMV and he said there were thousands of out-of-state plates waiting in line. Not sure how they got on the "list."
1967 Lotus Elan Coupe - Super Safety
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
1973 Ford F100 4x4
MrBonus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:05 pm

We have a Covid vaccination centre in our town as well as Doctors surgeries dispensing, so I was a bit surprised when my wife received her letter from the NHS inviting her to make an online appointment for her first vaccination ( I’m her toy boy so I didn’t get the letter). So we went online to make the appointment and were directed to the nearest centre approximately 16 miles away in Sevenoaks. That’s not far away in real terms, but the centre where my Wife’s sister went for her vaccination is walking distance from our home.

The letter did state that if the online suggested centre was too far away then just wait for your doctors surgery to contact for a more local service.

The vaccine roll out in the UK is phenomenal, there are no doubt a few glitches here and there, no complaints..
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:17 pm

I as I am not in high risk group, home working none essential worker I'd be surprised if I get mine in the next 6 months. I certainly expect to be at the very end, unless they prioritize parents with school age kids.

Personally I fine with that as if things are done sensibly opening back up will be done more on infection rates and hospital loads, which I doubt they are going to massively improve until the vaccine roll out has almost completed. So whether you have the vaccine or not is just about your personal risk of catching it (low) and having a bad infection (low).

It not like anyone who has the vaccine is suddenly allowed to do things which other can't. (Which if they let happen is going to create a real mess.) So even if I got the vaccine the impact on my life would be minimal. The impact of everyone else, especially the higher risk populations, getting it will be more significant and that will slow the spread and start triggering relaxation of the rules.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:44 am

Still waiting here in NZ but I must say this thread is a pleasure to read.
In just about any other forum some nutter anti vaxxer would have come in on the conversation to warn us of the dangers of vaccines........
I guess it's axiomatic that owning an Elan automatically puts you several points up the IQ scale ! :D :D

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:16 am

In Australia like NZ we can be a little slower at roll out given the virtual elimination except for the occasional escape of the virus from quarantine from returning citizens. Good to see so many being part of the roll out in UK and USA where the need is so much greater.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 am

Not had mine yet; my mother is 92 and still waiting for hers!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:55 pm

rgh0 wrote:..........Good to see so many being part of the roll out in UK and USA where the need is so much greater.

cheers
Rohan

Unfortunately, Rohan, as you will be aware, a very unsavoury vaccine war is on the verge of breaking out here in Europe :roll:
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:27 pm

I learned yesterday that in London UK (and possibly elsewhere) the NHS is sending teams (of 2) with the Astra (Oxford) vaccine to the homes of old & difficult-to-move persons to vaccinate them at home.

I've not seen any mention of this in the newspapers or NHS websites and only found out about it because a friend of mine was actually performing this function yesterday.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:37 pm

I'm in category 1B in the US due to being 65 or older. Yesterday I got the Moderna vaccine. The second dose was set up for 4 weeks later.

The local hospital offers the vaccine on a random basis for people 65 or older, so i was lucky to get the vaccine early.

By the way, a friend who is an essential worker at a hospital has had both shots. Everyone there is given the day off after the second shot because most people get a fever and need time to recover. The first shot hasn't been a problem.
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:56 pm

billwill wrote:I learned yesterday that in London UK (and possibly elsewhere) the NHS is sending teams (of 2) with the Astra (Oxford) vaccine to the homes of old & difficult-to-move persons to vaccinate them at home.

I've not seen any mention of this in the newspapers or NHS websites and only found out about it because a friend of mine was actually performing this function yesterday.

Nothing new here, it happens every year for the flu vaccine. More usually ( and indeed for covid ) it's single practitioners as no hand holding is needed.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:08 pm

I work in a hospital cancer center, so vaccinated x2 - Pfizer. We started with the idea many may have issues with 2nd dose but that is proving not to be a significant issue. For me, no different than the flu vaccine.

Though we could be moving much more quickly with more supply and less bureaucracy, I have to say it blows me away that we're collectively delivering this many millions of doses this soon after discovering this disease. Absolutely amazing. In my opinion, it should only pick up steam from here if we can get politics out of the way.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:48 pm

Yep - My wife and I both been done this week here in southern UK - as others have said a fantastic achievement by all concerned - developing the vaccine - procuring same - distributing it and finally injecting it - well done all.
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:35 am

Too young for the program yet, I need to wait for the 55+ group to be vaccinated. Good news is my mother (in her 80s) and in-laws (in their late 70s) have been vaccinated. Southern England.

Kate Bingham came in for some bad press last year, but given the success of the UK vaccine procurement program probably deserves a gong - and all our thanks.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: