Congratulation's Lewis what an achivchment !

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:03 pm

+1
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:52 pm

jimj wrote:I normally hold Rohan`s opinions in high regard but in this case he`s approaching Trump levels of delusion.
Jim

Not really fair. Trump is never ending abuse of everything.
Rohan clearly does not like unevenly matched cars/teams. Hamilton does sort of pout, but also rejoices.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:56 am

h20hamelan wrote:
jimj wrote:I normally hold Rohan`s opinions in high regard but in this case he`s approaching Trump levels of delusion.
Jim

Not really fair. Trump is never ending abuse of everything.
Rohan clearly does not like unevenly matched cars/teams. Hamilton does sort of pout, but also rejoices.

I take it all very lightly, as its the sort of discussion you have over a glass of wine after a race meeting :lol: But I dont think I have ever been compared with Trump before and there is some logic in my opinion which is something Trump rarely has :lol:

I just dont think Hamilton is as good as Clarke or Senna ( my Lotus bias showing) or maybe even Prost. Going back even further into the past there are others also I could add

why that opinion ? well it depends on the criteria you use to rate a driver

Schumacher and Hamilton may have more championships and victories etc but the raw numbers dont tell the whole story. The are both great drivers -- dont get me wrong --- just that I think over the years there have been some who despite fewer statistics were better. How I personally judge this is around looking at what they could do with the equipment they had and how they could drive consistently on the ragged edge of what was possible on that day on that track with that car.

Todays racing is much more controlled is every aspect and the drivers drilled to replicate what the computers say is the quickest way around the track. Schumacher and Hamilton were / are both very good at this but I prefer drivers who actually used to have to drive based on their own skills at driving not at replicating a computer driving.

Schumacher and Hamilton also clearly had / have vastly superior cars for most of their careers and there are more races now enabling them to build the list of wins, poles ,championships and other statistics.

I doubt the Trump has an opinion on who are the best F1 drivers of all time and if he did it would be based on whether they liked him or not rather than how good a driver they are, he probably does not even know what F1 is :roll: . Maybe he has heard of Nascar and Richard Petty ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 am

A very sensible comment from Sebastian Vettel this week:

Asked whether he now considered Hamilton the greatest of all time, Vettel added: “I think he is the greatest of our era for sure. I think it’s always difficult to compare, how can you possibly compare (Juan Manuel) Fangio, Stirling Moss to our generation? You can’t.

“Maybe we would be useless because we’d all be shitting ourselves in those cars, maybe they would be useless in our cars because they’re way too fast, who knows? But it doesn’t matter. I think every era has its driver, or its drivers, and Lewis is certainly the biggest, greatest of our era.”
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 am

Prost was better than schu. The proof is schu crashed his car into Prost to try and stop him. He did the same to Senna.
If trump was a F1 driver he'd push everyone off the Track.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:02 am

If Trump was an F1 driver he’d just keep saying “ I won the race, by a lot !”
In the vain hope that if he repeats a lie often enough people will come to regard it as the truth.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:38 am

reb53 wrote:A very sensible comment from Sebastian Vettel this week:

Asked whether he now considered Hamilton the greatest of all time, Vettel added: “I think he is the greatest of our era for sure. I think it’s always difficult to compare, how can you possibly compare (Juan Manuel) Fangio, Stirling Moss to our generation? You can’t.

“Maybe we would be useless because we’d all be shitting ourselves in those cars, maybe they would be useless in our cars because they’re way too fast, who knows? But it doesn’t matter. I think every era has its driver, or its drivers, and Lewis is certainly the biggest, greatest of our era.”

Yes I agree .... but then when you look at the eras and see who could push to the limits the most and the most consistently in their own era you can attempt somewhat to compare drivers over the eras. Not easy and always controversial but an fun pub discussion

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:28 am

reb53 wrote:If Trump was an F1 driver he’d just keep saying “ I won the race, by a lot !”
In the vain hope that if he repeats a lie often enough people will come to regard it as the truth.

And there was me thinking that "die große Lüge" had fallen from use...
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:43 am

Not in the last 4 years it hasn’t....
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:59 am

rgh0 wrote:
reb53 wrote: Not easy and always controversial but an fun pub discussion

cheers
Rohan

Oh, the good old days of the pub debate..
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:10 pm

reb53 wrote:Not in the last 4 years it hasn’t....

Yes, you're so right.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Just watched "Lauda The Untold Story" on Amazon last night. Jackie Stewart had some comments comparing drivers and equipment over the decades. A good watch if you haven't seen it.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Sploder90 wrote:
rgh0 wrote:
reb53 wrote: Not easy and always controversial but an fun pub discussion

cheers
Rohan

Oh, the good old days of the pub debate..

Yep, plays to the two greatest passions in an Englishman's life,

Drinking......

and,

Being Right !! :)
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 am

I am not so sure, politicians/celebrities require any money. Seems to be, their fame has sponsors scratching at the door.
I dont know where society lost its integrity, I believe it was around the 50's. Where the average CEO made only 5% more than the average worker. Then the complete collapse, in the 1980 from Free Trade allowing container ships and trucking, not to mention Big Take-overs to further kill us.

There is a story, played on the local Co-Op radio every New Years. Of when the first train was introduced to ya'll in the UK. So it goes, the Farmer was told there was to be a "Time Zone". The Farmer exclaimed, so if I step one step this way. "I am one hour behind?"

Not sure if I have the story correct. It seems more telling with Covid and the rules the oligarchs want us to keep believing.

trump.png and

Also not sure, how may actual "Champs" you will find. Here is proof, Champs can get along.

Jim
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:52 pm

I say, steady on old chap... I am a Yorkshireman ...
Being right isn't a passion, it is an obligation

Remember: You can always tell a Yorkshireman. But you can't tell him much :lol:
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: