TJ Fuel injection

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:07 am

Hi All,
I’m hoping someone here knows enough about TJ injection to be able to help me identify what’s missing, I think it’s essentially the dynamo/ engine driven pump bracket and the mechanism that fits at end of throttle bodies that the throttle cable connects to which sends opening detail back to the control unit.
This kits essentially unused, still has original hose to be made up, and nylon Low pressure hoses,
795E1FC2-39BB-43A4-8DDD-8A459C754CD9.jpeg and

Any help appreciated and any potential sources of TJ pets appreciated.
Regards
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:08 pm

Vaughan,

Scroll down through this site, it has a number of TJ fuel injection pamphlets, the original manual and installation instructions. It may be of help.

http://www.mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/technical_carb.htm

You don't mention your application. I recall reviews that said it was a very limited system, unsuitable for use on the road given its very basic metering capability. As far as I know, it was mainly used in competition cars in throttle on/off applications like circuit racing and rallying.

If you plan on fuel injection, modern EFI will be streets ahead of this system.

Andy.

edit: fixed the link
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks Andy, I have a small valve Brian Hart LTC engine for an open wheel race car that competed in F1 in Asia with Waggott 1600 and FVA and LTC, Waggott 1600/2000 engines in the Tasman Series races Held in late 60’s in Australia and NZ.
The only issue I have is the throttle bodies are only 36mm bore, so likely this kit was more road oriented or for BMC Downton conversions, or pre/cross flow Ford due to small diameter. I expect I’ll need minimum 42-45mm throttle bore.
First need to see if I have all the hard to find parts, then I’ll see if the throttle bodies can be bored,
Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Gungebucket » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Hi, my late reply to your old thread! The system you have there is a competition set-up from around 1968. The road systems had a pulse unit on the back of the pump which sent a signal to the relief valve so that no fuel could enter the engine until the engine was cranking. Your system would start to issue fuel the moment the electric pump was energised. It looks as if you have all the parts. For the Lotus twin cam competition engines there were angled throttle bodies which gave a straight run into the twin cam ports. Ford Competitions used 42mm throttle bodies on the rally cars. There is a lot of very misleading and incorrect information on the net about T-J injection, usually written by people with no first-hand experience. I worked for Tecalemit on T-J injection for many years and was the resident engineer at Ford Competitons Dept. so I do actually know what I am talking about! Talking twin cams, Brian Hart's most powerful 1600 units had a minimum pass off figure of 200 bhp and they used 42 mm bore slide throttles. Brian also tried 44mm but so no advantage. :o)
Gungebucket
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:23 am

Gungebucket thanks for your reply and apologies I've not replied earlier, life got in the way.

I'm pleased its all present, and your explanation of starting aligns with my observations of a local F2 car I've seen which has TJ injection, they spray "Start Ya Bastard" at same time as energising the ignition and fuel pump.

The throttle bodies will bore to 42 or 45mm and think a Weber throttle plate may work out. It's a work in progress.
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: