when the looting starts, the shooting starts

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:42 pm

There is lots of Europe talk here, Canada and Australia are probably not going to have an effect, or affect the entire World.
Nuclear, and this incredible time does.
In my opinion, Covid and DT are the biggest factors on society since WW2. These have an affect and will effect everyone.

BBC, like CBC are biased news organizations. If not both fake news.

Not trying to be a conspericy theorist. Let’s be fair, who’s reporting is correct, and unbiased? I highly doubt even the Guardian or Democracy Now has zero agenda, or zero neutrality. At least they seem to publicize trump facts.

Finally, trying to understand Canada’s politics is difficult enough. Let alone trying to figure out the USA, which truly holds >93% of Canada’s economy.

For the first time since 9/11, I watched CNN and others on the internet (this I never do) I didn’t get to sleep till the sun came up. Mainly because trump still has launch codes.

Again, for me. This is a huge deal that I dont fully understand. In hopes that some friends within the USA have insight.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elated » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Lighten up.
It is unfair to criticise those who so post in this section (which is specifically reserved for non-Lotus topics) especially when the subject is topical, significant and entertaining.
Gordon
elated
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:34 pm

If you just want to know what happened, ask, no problem discussing facts - I'm only offended by the use of the opportunity to make political statements at a time when they are, at best, useless and, at worst, inflammatory. We do not need inflammatory.

As to what happened, it is pretty simple.

A large group of people feel without a voice and disenfranchised by what they perceive to be corruption and unfair elections. Whether that has basis is rather irrelevant at the moment, but will be important at some point. It is rather obvious that this perception has been at least amplified by the incumbent president and some of those who are (or wish to be) close to him.

A quite large (10s of thousands, maybe 100k or more) felt disenfranchised enough to go to DC to protest what they perceived as an unfair election. The incumbent president, rather than working to diffuse the situation, again amped up the crowd.

Some small percentage of that large group, likely a combination of agitators, nutjobs, and (I'm just guessing here) some good folks on too much adrenaline, make a highly ill-informed choice to try to take over the US Capitol Building, presumably to disrupt legislative body action on the electoral college votes for the next president. This subgroup moved from protest to riot or insurrection or whatever you want to call their violence. These folks were dealt with swiftly and apparently severely (current reporting is 4 deaths, multiple injuries, and lots of arrests). I loathe the deaths and pray for the impacted people and families, but I believe a forcible response is completely justified and appropriate when individuals or a group attempt forcible entry and takeover of a government body (or, for that matter, a private business or community).

I have high praise for the LE response and for the reassembly of elected officials to complete their business within hours. I also have high praise for any and all who helped de-escalate and who kept follow-on violence overnight to a minimum. Let's hope that de-escalation continues to be the focus and continues to be successful.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:58 pm

It is in the free parking section after all, which is open to any reasonable discussion of any topic.

If you want to only look at Lotus content, You don't need to read free parking if you don't want to.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webrest7 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:19 pm

Yep, you're correct Rohan .
I didn't realise there was a Forum for off Lotus subjects.
I do now.
Thanks
webrest7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:54 am

webrest7 wrote:Why are we talking American politics on a Lotus car site.
I thought we left that garbage outside this sacred site.

This site has an American Owner/Administrator and I believe it runs on American servers.

American politics/riots could cause it to shutdown with no warning.

:shock:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 am

SENC wrote:As to what happened, it is pretty simple.

It is simple, why its come to this is in question.
Our own Prime Minister (albeit with better hair) is very similar.
Will it happen in Canada or other places. Yes, it will. Because corporations have taken over politicians.

A few opinions, Elon Musk loosely says USA corporations can insight a Coup and the gov will back us. The Canadian gov does this too. Mining, Resource extraction etc. Look at how much oil Canada imports from the Saudis, in trade for armaments...Only the Irvine's produce a small amount for the local N.B. market. Also, the CDN gov subsidies oil to almost 100%. So what's the point.

In 1950, the average CEO made 5% more than the average worker.
Since the 80's free trade agreements, corporations have been allowed to take over large corporations.
Both these have led to the lowest levels of happiness in N America.
Finally, if minimum wage followed inflation. Minimum would be $40/hr

There are many factors contributing to politics. I only hope the People find their spine, and put an end too inequality. Like Sweden, and psychological evaluations for the youth. We simply don't know how to help people.

Sure I am out there, and don't get it all. Truth is, all I want is for my kids to have a future. Simple.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webrest7 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:24 am

billwill wrote:
webrest7 wrote:
This site has an American Owner/Administrator and I believe it runs on American servers.

Do I have this correct.
elan.net is US based and not the UK.
webrest7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:38 am

The funniest thing about the USA and DT, is it is all made up
Just to keep us occupied, like fear and $6 per hr minimum wage

The 1% have drones and robots, all the 99% do is take resources. We are obsolete.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 pm

webrest7 wrote:
billwill wrote:
webrest7 wrote:

Do I have this correct.

Yes, the site "Owner" lives in the US & the "base" server is in the US
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:52 pm

webrest7 wrote:
billwill wrote:
webrest7 wrote:

Do I have this correct.

Yes, Jeff lives in Houston,Texas.

See Jeff's profile:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4791
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:11 pm

h20hamelan wrote:
Mainly because trump still has launch codes.

This has always frightened me. Even more so now.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:26 pm

From an outsiders perspective. It is unbelievable that one “person” has this power.
Also just as unbelievable is that large of a population, only has two parties. With no apparent route to have a voice, because everything is so closely controlled by money.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:38 pm

h20hamelan wrote:There is lots of Europe talk here, Canada and Australia are probably not going to have an effect, or affect the entire World.
Nuclear, and this incredible time does.
In my opinion, Covid and DT are the biggest factors on society since WW2. These have an affect and will effect everyone.

BBC, like CBC are biased news organizations. If not both fake news.

Not trying to be a conspericy theorist. Let’s be fair, who’s reporting is correct, and unbiased? I highly doubt even the Guardian or Democracy Now has zero agenda, or zero neutrality. At least they seem to publicize trump facts.

Finally, trying to understand Canada’s politics is difficult enough. Let alone trying to figure out the USA, which truly holds >93% of Canada’s economy.

For the first time since 9/11, I watched CNN and others on the internet (this I never do) I didn’t get to sleep till the sun came up. Mainly because trump still has launch codes.

Again, for me. This is a huge deal that I dont fully understand. In hopes that some friends within the USA have insight.

For the people saying why not?

The post quoted above is why not.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:18 am

h20hamelan wrote:From an outsiders perspective. It is unbelievable that one “person” has this power.
Also just as unbelievable is that large of a population, only has two parties. With no apparent route to have a voice, because everything is so closely controlled by money.

Money is power, money is the unit of freedom. This has always been true in human history no matter where you live.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: