The EU Referundum for the UK.

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:17 pm

You know, it's called confirmation bias!

Centralised army, less cost, more resources , sounds a good idea to me. However I'm sure that at least one of the 27 remaining countries will veto so it will never happen.
It's called having parliamentary sovereignty.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:46 pm

terryp wrote:I think you may have believed all the stuff in the Daily Express

Terry,

I don't read the Express, never have and have no desire to start. I just live here and am old enough to see what's happening and make up my own mind.

I have no problem with people taking opposing views. I don't grumble on about election results when "my" party loses or claim that because the winning party only has around 35% of the votes we should have another go at it.

And as for a centralised EU Armed force, I wouldn't trust Junker et al with a pair of scissors let alone a military force they could deploy unilaterally. But it will happen and sovereignty or veto won't come into it once the UK is out of the way.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:06 pm

terryp wrote:You know, it's called confirmation bias!
No it is called reasoned free thought.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:23 pm

UAB807F wrote:
terryp wrote:I think you may have believed all the stuff in the Daily Express

Terry,

I don't read the Express, never have and have no desire to start. I just live here and am old enough to see what's happening and make up my own mind.

I have no problem with people taking opposing views. I don't grumble on about election results when "my" party loses or claim that because the winning party only has around 35% of the votes we should have another go at it.

And as for a centralised EU Armed force, I wouldn't trust Junker et al with a pair of scissors let alone a military force they could deploy unilaterally. But it will happen and sovereignty or veto won't come into it once the UK is out of the way.

Are you sure you don't read the Express?
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:24 pm

AHM wrote:
terryp wrote:You know, it's called confirmation bias!
No it is called reasoned free thought.

We're agree the disagree on that one!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:30 pm

terryp wrote:Are you sure you don't read the Express?

Absolutely positive Terry.

I do follow the Eurozone news on Reuters though, that makes interesting reading at times. I'm waiting now for Le Pen to get in power in your neck of the woods..... :D
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:35 pm

The French are taking the p*ss out of the mess in the UK, don't think they will be voting for the same thing!

(Note - don't believe first round results , it's a bit of a national past time here to vote for someone else initially.)
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Terry,

Unlike your vision of the ill educated poor who were tricked into Brexit.
I looked into most of the claims made. I can only say that the facts are a little inconvenient for remain.

The French are partial to a peasants revolt... Laugh on!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:43 pm

AHM Andy?

We shall see won't we .....,.
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:10 am

terryp wrote:The French are taking the p*ss out of the mess in the UK, don't think they will be voting for the same thing!

(Note - don't believe first round results , it's a bit of a national past time here to vote for someone else initially.)

really ? Well I never. Perhaps that's how we got into the EEC in the 70s, everyone thought they'd have a laugh and vote for the opposite side.

I guess you can just put it down to someone who doesn't live in the country and hence doesn't understand why the people vote how they do or what's important to them.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:56 am

UAB807F wrote:
terryp wrote:The French are taking the p*ss out of the mess in the UK, don't think they will be voting for the same thing!

really ? Well I never. Perhaps that's how we got into the EEC in the 70s, everyone thought they'd have a laugh and vote for the opposite side.

I guess you can just put it down to someone who doesn't live in the country and hence doesn't understand why the people vote how they do or what's important to them.

Well 36% of them anyway!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:19 am

Until recently I owned property & spent much of my time in France & have some good friends there. I have to say that almost without exception they were hoping we would vote out &, unlike myself, expected that to be the result. They are certainly NOT taking the p*ss. They may start, however if we ignore the OUT vote. They still remember they themselves had a vote on a European constitution in 2005, they were asked

"Approuvez-vous le projet de loi qui autorise la ratification du trait? ?tablissant une Constitution pour l'Europe ?"
"Do you approve the bill authorising the ratification of the treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe?"

They voted Non, against all expectations, to the Constitution for reasons including a perceived lack of democratic accountability, sound familiar ? They were effectively ignored that time, if they get another chance they might just surprise you.
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:49 am

Orsom Weels wrote:

Until recently I owned property & spent much of my time in France & have some good friends there. I have to say that almost without exception they were hoping we would vote out &, unlike myself, expected that to be the result. They are certainly NOT taking the p*ss. They may start, however if we ignore the OUT vote. They still remember they themselves had a vote on a European constitution in 2005, they were asked

"Approuvez-vous le projet de loi qui autorise la ratification du trait? ?tablissant une Constitution pour l'Europe ?"
"Do you approve the bill authorising the ratification of the treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe?"

They voted Non, against all expectations, to the Constitution for reasons including a perceived lack of democratic accountability, sound familiar ? They were effectively ignored that time, if they get another chance they might just surprise you.

Well we live here and have lived and worked here for over 13 years. The TV is certainly taking the p*ss. Our french friends were completely shocked and appalled by the vote as were we.
Luckily the current French government aren't so stupid as to ask the electorate to decide on such a complex decision, one that only the most informed individuals in any Government should only be able to take (Not me or you!)
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:54 pm

Well I never took French TV too seriously, or English TV to be fair, although some of my French pals got me to take them UK satellite boxes so they could watch English programs :shock: I suspect that much like the UK, you will get differing opinions in different areas.
It would be no surprise that the current French government wouldn't want to give their people the chance of a referendum, given that Francois Hollande lead the Oui campaign in 2005 & lost, but surely the whole ethos of democracy is that everyone, regardless of their position in life should have the chance to have their say ? If not, we're back to the situation where those at the top can just impose whatever rules & regulations they see fit over the rest of us & there being nothing we can do about it. Again, sound familiar ?
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:18 pm

OH yes that EU imposing all those rules and regulations......
The Regulations are basically for continuity of goods within the single market, Lose the regulations and you can't sell into that market. For another market say Australia surprise surprise you get a new set of regulations!
Rules are mostly employment law protecting the employee and essentially the labour supply. Presumably you are for more zero hour contracts!
As I said previously look at Balance of Competence 2012 to 2014.
It's all been media spin against the big bad EU
Funny thing is, if there is a Brexit, you won't have anyone to blame :-) ......,. Except yourself
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: