Fixed Penalty Notice - and happy

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 am

Morning folks,
There is a God!!! Few days before Christmas I was stopped by an unmarked police car, having been logged at 57 in a 40, rapidly reducing to 30, limit. I was driving my wife's "luxo-barge" where everything is automatic and all you have to do is watch the dashboard. (bit like a modern F1 pilot). Anyway, fixed penalty notice for ?60 duly issued and off I went. Thing was, the Officer had put the wrong date on the Notice (Nov instead of Dec) so very soon into the New Year I had a letter saying that I was overdue the fine and therefore was being charged an additional ?30 for non payment.
Wasn't very happy so elected to go to Court - quite prepared to put my hand up to the speeding but not the additional ?30 fine. In front of the Judge (represented myself) he thought that the matter could be dealt with by the Fixed Penalty Office and asked me to phone them. They said that they couldn't take my money as the matter was now referred at Court - even when I said that the case was currently being heard and the Judge had asked me to phone.
Went back in and explained this to the Judge. He couldn't believe it either!! Anyway, he apologised for wasting my time and reduced the fine to ?25. As I left the Court the Judge said to me "In modern language Mister B, I believe that that is known as a result!"
Thankyou Sir. Got to keep the 3 points but my insurance company wasn't bothered.

Smiling!!
Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Want to get mad about something?............how about unmarked police cars..........I thought you guys help beat the enemy in WW2.

Cameras everywhere, unmarked police cars.............hmmm
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm surprised he didnt throw it out completely, AFAIK thats what normally happens when the date or any other important information is wrong or missing, or did you only contest the ?30 majoration?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 am

I think I would have smiled and said " absolutely correct sir, but an even better result would have been to have put them on notice, and dismissed it completely".
Suspect he would have admired your cheek and said " agreed...".
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: