Chop sticks Ali or Stainlless?

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:44 pm

A number of suppositions about how Archimedes did it.
http://www.math.nyu.edu/~%20crorres/Arc ... Intro.html

Rather than try measuring overflow, this might be simpler.

Use a lightweight spring balance.

Weigh as many chopsticks as you have got, first with them in air , them with them immersed in water but with the spring balance out of the water.

The difference between the two readings is the weight of water displaced so divide that into the weight of the chopsticks in air to get the desity (?)
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:03 pm

take a 2p coin and lightly scrape the edge against the metal, aluminium will scratch very easily, stainless will not. your sticks are almost certainly made from Grade 316 stainless steel, otherwise known as Marine Grade or Medical Grade. This grade of stainless is not magnetic as you have already noted.

Polished aluminium unless anodised will go a dull colour very quickly, think of your old pots and pans ( Mum's or Gran's). Being a relatively soft metal, aluminium is not often used for any sort of eating utensil.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Alan

That will do me mate...

Thanks
John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Spyder fan wrote:take a 2p coin and lightly scrape the edge against the metal, aluminium will scratch very easily, stainless will not.

Anodise can be tougher than tool steel.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:17 am

The alloy used to make 2p pieces is not as hard as grade 316 but certainly tougher than all aluminum alloys including 95% of all anodised finishes. If the manufacturer of these rather mundane items has gone to the vast expense of applying an industrial coating normally reserved for bearing surfaces then the 2p alloy will act as a touchstone by depositing metal im the surface of the object, grade 316 stainless will remain clean.

I sell anodised door handles, they have a pretty tough coating but not as good as stainless and are normally scratched and shabby within a year in heavy use.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Sorry I thought we were having a theoretical discussion
Spyder fan wrote:take a 2p coin and lightly scrape the edge against the metal, aluminium will scratch very easily, stainless will not.
That isn't a non destructive test.

Spyder fan wrote:your sticks are almost certainly made from Grade 316 stainless steel,
That is an assumption - we can all do that!

Spyder fan wrote: aluminium is not often used for any sort of eating utensil.
Google Aluminium Chopsticks!

Spyder fan wrote:If the manufacturer of these rather mundane items has gone to the vast expense of applying an industrial coating normally reserved for bearing surfaces
Are you sure that it is the process that is vastly expensive and not the requirements of the application? You may not need to consider such close tolerances or hertzian stress in the manufacture of such mundane items!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:17 pm

So, anyway I'm just wondering how many of the World's forest trees were lost in the manufacture of these metallic thingies.
And even more to the point; how many of you ask for chop sticks, which afterwards must be disposed of, when eating out at your favourite Chinese restaurant?

All of this is your fault Cleggy!
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:28 pm

John
Take a vote for the best answer?

Simon
Have you ever considered you may be wrong about something? How many points do you think are being awarded for your input into this topic? Perhaps like me most people are just having a good chuckle :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Simon
Have you ever considered you may be wrong about something? How many points do you think are being awarded for your input into this topic?

Oh frequently. None, hadn't realised there was a right answer or points involved. Just responding to the tone of your award winning input!

Spyder fan wrote:Perhaps like me most people are just having a good chuckle :mrgreen:

Sorry, your humour is a little obtuse for me - I've missed it somewhere... No still can't see it.

Just having a laugh myself!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:18 pm

Blimey! you must have thought about that reply! at least 5 minutes passed?!

Please excuse my banter, you obviously are mistaking me for somebody who is taking this topic seriously.... yawn! ..... thanks Pete! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:33 pm

I would have been quicker, but I only came in to make a cup of tea and search for details on headlight mechanisms.

No, still haven't got your humour... is it this light-hearted comment?

Spyder fan wrote: If the manufacturer of these rather mundane items has gone to the vast expense of applying an industrial coating normally reserved for bearing surfaces then the 2p alloy will act as a touchstone by depositing metal im the surface of the object, grade 316 stainless will remain clean.

Is there an in joke, or an anagram in there somewhere?
Last edited by AHM on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:34 pm

[quote="AHM"]Stainless will appear yellow next to aluminium.

quote]

Explain ?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:39 pm

AHM wrote:I would have been quicker, but I only came in to make a cup of tea and search for details on headlight mechanisms.

No, still haven't got your humour... is it this light-hearted comment?

Spyder fan wrote: If the manufacturer of these rather mundane items has gone to the vast expense of applying an industrial coating normally reserved for bearing surfaces then the 2p alloy will act as a touchstone by depositing metal im the surface of the object, grade 316 stainless will remain clean.

Is there an in joke, or an anagram in there somewhere

Sorry,
I'm relying on my own experience and expertise ( Architectural Ironmonger). headlight mechanisms are a total pain in the posterior, I have the dubious pleasure of exhibiting my +2 that has so called fail safe headlamps at the NEC this week. The quandary is whether to allow the headlamps to raise naturally over the 4 days or to disable the spring mechanism so that the car retains it's elegant lines rather than turning into an expensive frog eyed sprite.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:45 pm

AHM wrote:Stainless will appear yellow next to aluminium.

To have a similar appearance the aluminium would need to be anodised. Anodise is not very electrically conductive... Stainless is.

They will have a completely different sound.

lotusfan wrote:A suggestion to differentiate between the two - heat to red heat with a blow torch, the aluminium will melt, the stainless will not.

The stainless one will change colour dramalically long before the Aluminium melts.....Fool!

Your posts are not really very conducive towards peace and love are they Simon?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Well, It was said in humour, as I presume was lotusfan's comment. I hope it was taken that way, I would happily apologise if not.

I reserve personal insults for humour in free parking... don't you Charlie?
Last edited by AHM on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: