Proof of the fourth dimension

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

It has been staring us in the face all this time!

Take a USB cable. Try to plug it in... nope - won't fit. Spin it through 180?, and try again. Nope... still won't fit.
Spin it 180? again... TADA! It fits!

This should get the ball rolling & I'm sure everyone has a prime example :mrgreen:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm

Yes I'm here again with another example:-

When you drop a small part in the workshop, it immediately disappears into the fourth dimension and if you are lucky it will return some time in the future.
Usually just after you have bought a replacement! :shock:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 pm

Reminds me of Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests itself:

I decide to water my garden.

As I turn on the hose in the drive, I look over at my Elan and decide it needs washing.

As I head towards the garage, I notice the post on the porch table that I picked up from the postman earlier.

I decide to go through it before I wash the car.

I put my car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the recycling box under the table and notice that the recycling box is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the recycling first.

But then I think, since I'm going to be near the letterbox when I take out the recycling paper anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my cheque book off the table and notice that there is only one cheque left.

My extra cheques are in the desk in my study, so I go to my desk where I find the cup of coffee I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my cheques but first I need to push the coffee aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The coffee is getting cold, and I decide to make another cup.

As I head toward the kitchen with the cold coffee, a vase of flowers on the worktop catches my eye - the flowers need water.

I put the coffee on the worktop and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I put the glasses back down on the worktop, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote control. Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realise that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I put the remote back on the table, get some tea towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

The Elan isn't washed,

The bills aren't paid,

There is a cold cup of coffee sitting on the kitchen work-surface,

The flowers don't have enough water,

There is still only 1 cheque in my cheque book,

I can't find the remote,

I can't find my glasses,

And I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all bloody day and I'm really tired.

I realise this is a serious problem and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.....

Tim - I think ....
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:42 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Yes I'm here again with another example:-

When you drop a small part in the workshop, it immediately disappears into the fourth dimension and if you are lucky it will return some time in the future.
Usually just after you have bought a replacement! :shock:

Especially when working on a Mini- there is a hidden portal through which all dropped things vanish, no matter what size; even a 1/2" drive socket set handle has been known to disappear down the back of the engine and completely vapourise.
Having search under the car, looked again into every crevice under the bonnet; bashed and lacerated the back of my head on that bloody bonnet-hook, driven an eight-mile round trip to Moss for a replacement part I open the garage door and see the vital component winking at me from somewhere that I know I have looked in three times. :evil:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

trw99 wrote:As I turn on the hose in the drive, I look over at my Elan and decide it needs washing.

And at the end of the day you has racked up a large water bill.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:34 pm

The 4th dimension is the destination of the missing sock from the dryer, that and the money you are sure you had in your wallet!

Paul

If I save time, when do I get it back? Does it collect interest? :?
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Ah yes, the missing sock the eternal mystery & classic proof of the 4th dimension. :D
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:54 pm

My experience of this phenomenon is that when I look for an item of clothes etc. it is NOT there....BUT when my wife looks it magically appears exactly where she said it was! :shock:
I suppose I should get her to organize my garage :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:02 pm

types26/36 wrote:My experience of this phenomenon is that when I look for an item of clothes etc. it is NOT there....BUT when my wife looks it magically appears exactly where she said it was! :shock:
I suppose I should get her to organize my garage :roll:

Be very, very careful!
Women/Wives are way beyond the 4th dimension; they are a known quantity but totally unfathomable! :roll:
They are also "animal" which the 4th dimension is not.
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 pm

So I guess we are not talking about:-
Fourth Dimension, the roots reggae band.
The Miami Herald dubbed them reggae legends with an original sound in the vein of Steel Pulse and Marley with a latin twist.
( No idea what that means)
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm

Oh my goodness; far too highbrow for this place old chap :D
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:39 pm

My most recent journey to the Fourth Dimension involved the clutch master cylinder cap. No way I could see it after it was called home. After some space / time continuum upset, it magically reappeared through the well known Black Hole located on the top of the exhaust Y pipe. Oh yeah, it was a plastic one! :shock:

Beautiful art; would make a nice club trophy for best restoration perhaps? :)
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:11 am

Yes I am often accused of only having had a "boy look" for things that have gone missing....
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:38 am

There is a 4th dimension that envelopes a Lotus or Caterham 7 when travelling at speed, any loose objects, fag packets, wallets, scarves, bunches of flowers inside the car will be sucked out when the vehicle reaches a velocity proportional to their mass, they will then spend up to 30 seconds having an an out of body experience in the 4th dimension before returning usually whacking you on the back of the head in the process.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Chancer wrote:There is a 4th dimension that envelopes a Lotus or Caterham 7 when travelling at speed, any loose objects, fag packets, wallets, scarves, bunches of flowers inside the car will be sucked out when the vehicle reaches a velocity proportional to their mass, they will then spend up to 30 seconds having an an out of body experience in the 4th dimension before returning usually whacking you on the back of the head in the process.

This does not happen with French Auto-route tickets; last year 'erself let go of one in our TT (roof down, natch) and it went straight to the fifth dimension (the ticket, not the TT). Of course the payage station was a rural, un-manned one. Fortunately a bloke resembling M. Hulot arrived in a van to collect the money from the auto-pay machines, Mrs T engaged him with her best A-level French and after a lot of shrugging and face-pulling (she's good at that) he took a fraction of the money we owed and let us escape.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: