Caterham Brake Problem - Fronts Jamming then foot to floor

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:34 am

Altho the braking parts are spit fire the master is MGB 1983 . Used for 6 months and impossible to find --I had to send mine out for rebuild at stupid money ,
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:50 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:
What about a seal kit?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:54 am

terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 am

nope not the same . Caterham used the master with the brake failure circuit and a slanted reservoir IN 1984 , that ONE ON ebay is just a plain Jane mgb master-----I had the similar problem with my Europa master .I used the old one as a core and later spent 500 dollars for a replacement ----- NICE TRY THOUGH ---ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Your right .....I have got a slantty top
Hopefully Mick at Redline will know what to do?

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:35 pm

my bet is rebuild it ---I cant remember why I had to send mine out as this a job I do myself regularly on the other cars --it may have been the reservoir was cracked and made of unobtainium --

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Mick at Redline has just confirmed all repair kits in stock and will be sent, so hopefully soon I can be back on the road.

Thanks to all

Terry
PS lets hope its not the hoses :|
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Soon after buying the Elan, I had a similar situation while driving down PCH on a hot summer weekend day, with lots of stop and go traffic. The engine temp was running about at the tip over point of looking for a place to pull over to let it cool down. The right front brake started to lock, pulling hard right if I applied the brakes, and not releasing enough when the pedal was released, so the steering was constantly pulling right.

When I finally found a stop and rob to pull into to let it cool, the right front really locked up, so much so, the car would not even roll. What I found was the location of the brake line to the right front caliper had been routed by the DPO, between the vacuum chamber and the engines oil pan, placing the line almost up against the pan. The heat generated by the hot oil in the pan was heating the brake fluid to the point of causing lock up. Shouldn't happen, but it did. Pouring some water over the brake line, cooled it sufficiently to release the caliper. Got home and re-routed the offending line, have run in similar hot conditions, and no more problems.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: