Lotus Elan

BABY Elan ... not on here please.

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am

Personally I believe there is the Elan and the Plus 2 ( note not an Elan Plus 2 just a Plus 2)

but I like to keep life simple and I am not into political correctness

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7513
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:06 pm

rgh0 wrote:Personally I believe there is the Elan and the Plus 2 ( note not an Elan Plus 2 just a Plus 2)

but I like to keep life simple and I am not into political correctness

cheers
Rohan


Hi Rohan,
I don't mind how people describe them or name them. I refer to my Lotus Elan +2S as "The Plus 2" and I refer to my Lotus Elan S4 as the "Elan". That distinguishes them nicely, the people on here who are interested in the history of the +2 will tell you that it was originally called an Elan +2 by Lotus (+2 & +2S), but that the Elan name was dropped from sales literature late in the models history and it became simply the +2 (S130 & S130/5).

So therefore I think you are correct, when you say it's just a Plus 2, only the wing badge on mine says Elan +2 and there's probably loads of offended +2 owners reading this heresy that I've just typed :lol:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2541
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 am

nebogipfel wrote: Don't worry about off topic, I'm not precious about it :wink: :)


Maybe so...but there are limits! :shock:

baby elan.jpg and


Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2255
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Outta Here

PostPost by: Steve G » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:20 am

reb53 wrote:"Baby" sounds like a smaller version of the best, or correct, one.
First came across it years ago, ( pre Interweb), in a Christopher Neil catalogue.
Took a while to figure out what the hell he was on about......

Ralph.


I think you've hit the nail on the head there Ralph, this is the reason 'Baby Elan' upsets so many owners, it implies that it is a smaller, later version of an original Elan.
I've changed my stance on it, not to be tolerated at all. I think anyone using the term from here on should get a punch up the bracket.

That applies to 'Plus Zero' too. :lol:
User avatar
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 314
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Location: Brighton, UK

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:34 pm

[quote="Spyder fan
Hi Rohan,
I don't mind how people describe them or name them. I refer to my Lotus Elan +2S as "The Plus 2" and I refer to my Lotus Elan S4 as the "Elan". That distinguishes them nicely, the people on here who are interested in the history of the +2 will tell you that it was originally called an Elan +2 by Lotus (+2 & +2S), but that the Elan name was dropped from sales literature late in the models history and it became simply the +2 (S130 & S130/5).

So therefore I think you are correct, when you say it's just a Plus 2, only the wing badge on mine says Elan +2 and there's probably loads of offended +2 owners reading this heresy that I've just typed :lol:[/quote]


Its a totally personal opinion but those of us who drive both an Elan and a Plus 2 should have some say and i agree
I call my Elan - Elan and I call my Plus 2 - Plus 2 and I am happy to stick with that and if other want to be different and call it baby this and fat lard arse that I dont really worry about it.

But then I said I am in to reality and logic and technical correctness not polical correctness. Ask me about twin cam race spring valve specs and I will bore you for a few hours because I care about the outcome . Ask me about name of an Elan and you will get a short and sharp repsonse because in the end it does not affect the lap time or driving experience which is what I do care about.

But in the end I enjoy the discussion and its a hobby not a life and death decision

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7513
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:06 pm

rgh0 wrote:But in the end I enjoy the discussion and its a hobby not a life and death decision


Trouble is, we don't know really who is on the other end of the computer when a discussion is put up....some folks may take this stuff seriously!

Obviously Lotus didn't....

Mark
Attachments
Elan 67 3small.jpg and
Elan 66 3small.jpg and
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:07 am

Some of you guys actually think Lotus made a "Lotus +2" or a "Lotus Plus 2" ?
Are you serious?
Speaking as a Lotus Elan +2 owner I laugh at your non-sensical thinking...

26 36 45 50,
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 pm

There were one or two exceptions Eric!!

Mark
Attachments
z 1 early brochure.jpg and
z 1 s brochure.jpg and
z 2 130S brochure.jpg and
z 3 lote plus 2.jpg and
z 4 late Plus 2.jpg and
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 am

Aye yi yi, proven wrong again! (sshhhhhhh, please don't tell my little yellow +2 she's not an Elan, she'll be broken hearted.)
... and HELLLLLLO Jeff, looks like your job just got 50% easier. Too bad we gotta delete the fun half of the site.

26 50,
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:16 am

Ah, but as with all things Lotus, nothing is certain Eric. There are plenty of examples of the car being called the Elan Plus 2 as well....including the badge on the car!!

Some brochures shows the car referenced with both Lotus Elan Plus 2 and Lotus Plus 2 names. When the 2 seater Elan (perhaps we should call that the 'baby' Elan for clarity) is referenced it is often called the Lotus Elan. I guess that they always wanted to put the 'Lotus' bit in the name, and perhaps thought it was a bit long when it came to the Lotus Elan Plus 2 S 130....drop the 'Elan' bit and the name is a bit more snappy!

Mark
Attachments
69 A 1sm.jpg and
67 4a.jpg and
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:06 am

Hi Mark,
Do you work for the government or hold a political office?
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:25 am

No Eric, just a bloke of leisure.

Mark
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:28 pm

So, if I've got this right, and, in order to put this subject to rest (HAH!)
The term baby Elan is a non starter because there is no Elan +2. (at least some of the time?)
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1496
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: Hamilton County, Ohio

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu May 24, 2012 6:26 pm

nebogibfel wrote:-

"Founding member of the society to eradicate the use of the term Baby Elan by those who really ought to know better :)"


I could be wrong here but it seems to me you will never eradicate the term if you use it in the sign-off to all of your posts. :shock:
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Location: Dorset UK

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu May 24, 2012 8:47 pm

oldelanman wrote:nebogibfel wrote:-

"Founding member of the society to eradicate the use of the term Baby Elan by those who really ought to know better :)"


I could be wrong here but it seems to me you will never eradicate the term if you use it in the sign-off to all of your posts. :shock:


You're right! .........Now I face a real conundrum :?

I ought to have known better :lol:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
User avatar
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Location: Norfolk UK
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests