Delamare Road yesterday and nearly fifty years ago

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:51 am

I had to visit Hertford yesterday so called round to look at the old factory on Delamare Road in Cheshunt.
Not sure what year the black and white photo is.
Ben
Attachments
Cheshunt 016 (Medium) (Small).jpg and
Cheshunt 013 (Small).jpg and
Cheshunt (Small).jpg and
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 am

I hadn't realised that the old ramp for the Lotus Cortinas was still there...great pics, and can I use them in my website?

This is what I have on the factory, and who took the black and white / when....

http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com/?page_id=1176

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:55 am

Elanintheforest wrote:I hadn't realised that the old ramp for the Lotus Cortinas was still there...great pics, and can I use them in my website?

This is what I have on the factory, and who took the black and white / when....

http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com/?page_id=1176

Mark

Mark - yes you can use the photo's.
I bought a copy of the black and white photo at this years Donington show.

I emailed a copy to Warren King (accounts clerk to Fred Bushell) who emailed me back the following details:

A couple of pointers if you are not familiar with the Cheshunt layout. The two main buildings are the matching pair at the front, opened in 1959. The left one is Lotus Components where Sevens were made on the ground floor and racing cars on the first floor. Access for vehicles to the top floor was via the gantry projecting from the open doorway under the the peak of the roof at the front. The small group of offices at the front on the right was primarily for customer access to Car Parts and the Buyers. Team Lotus were in a section on the right corner at the back and you can see transporters behind at the back. Mike Costin and his engineers were in offices and workshops ranged along the back of the building. The building at the back by the fence was the Directors' Dining Room at the right and a maintenance store at the other end.

The building on the right was Lotus Cars Assembly, initially for Elites and subsequently for Elans. The building behind was a later extension with Lotus Cars Service on the ground floor (before they moved to Panshanger) and Cortinas on the first floor complete with access ramp. Ron Hickman had his office and workshops for Lotus Developments and his staff ranged along the back of this building. At the front of the building are the offices, with Sales offices on the ground floor to the left, and the showroom on the right. Upstairs from the left was ACBC office and one for his secretary, Fred Bushell's office, Team Lotus Manager's office (at first Stan Kennedy-Chapman, then Andrew Ferguson, John Standen's office as Purchasing Director, and then Accounts at the end on the right.
[/i]
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:29 am

Wow, that's great, and another update methinks!

I met Warren last year at a talk given by him and Robin Read about the early Elite years. As it's his writing that appears in most of the 'day book' sales entries, I had to ask the obvious questions about how complete the records were, duplicate chassis numbers etc. He had a twinkle in his eye when he replied that it was the 'acceptable and firm statement issued to the tax authorities to identify the internally agreed sales position'.

An excellent reply, which indicated to me that if it was to be used as the definitive list of what was produced and when, the reader may not fully understand or appreciate the Lotus culture!

The great picture of Cheshunt in '64 was actually a zoom in from one taken of a much bigger area....see pic below.
Attachments
File0018small.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Came across this "Jo Marquart" site, with a period photo at Cheshunt (circa 1963)

http://www.btinternet.com/~j.j.peirson/Argo02.htm

(Note request: "Anyone recognising themselves or others, please advise the writer of their names so the page may be updated accordingly")

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am

Hi - I am in the picture taken at the Cheshunt factory - Maureen Macrae - but it is not a photo of Lotus Components taken circa 1963, it is a photo of Ron Hickman with the Lotus Developments staff and it was taken in 1967, shortly before the move to Hethel. I have a copy of the original which was given to me by Ron Hickman, together with ALL the names. My contact is [email protected] if anyone would like a copy, with names.
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Maureen M wrote:Hi - I am in the picture taken at the Cheshunt factory - Maureen Macrae - but it is not a photo of Lotus Components taken circa 1963, it is a photo of Ron Hickman with the Lotus Developments staff and it was taken in 1967, shortly before the move to Hethel. I have a copy of the original which was given to me by Ron Hickman, together with ALL the names. My contact is [email protected] if anyone would like a copy, with names.

Hello Maureen

I didn't anticipate such a response! :shock:

But thankyou & welcome.

I'm sure I'm not alone in being interested in your photograph. If you have the means to scan it and upload a copy here, it would be most welcome.

Regards - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Yes welcome Maureen and thank you for your post.

As Richard says, it would be great if you could post the photo with all names and most helpful, thank you.

Tim

PS Richard - nice semaphoring!
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi Richard - please email me on [email protected] and I will upload a copy of the picture for you. Regards, Maureen
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Hi Tim - I am not very good with computers, but if someone would email me at [email protected] I will gladly upload the picture :) I'm afraid I can't work out how to upload it onto this page :)
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:26 pm

maureen scan1.jpg and
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm

I seem to have managed to upload the picture ! However it is rather small. If anyone wants a personal copy you have my email address. Regards, M
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Here's a bigger version that I've tweeked!

Great picture and information Maureen, and much appriciated by us Lotus nuts!

Mark

Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Maureen M wrote:I seem to have managed to upload the picture ! However it is rather small.

Elanintheforest wrote:Here's a bigger version that I've tweeked!

Thank you both.

What a great photograph & fascinating comments!

"M20 cinderella project" ...thereby hangs a tale methinks! :)

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Maureen B-N » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Wow thanks for the enlarged photograph - I look even fatter !!! Yes the M20 - it was always short of money and I don't think it ever went into production. I just recall the original clay scale model that Ron Hickman made in his studio during an all night session, and then the steel shell they put together in the workshop. Then everyone went to Hethel and I think it was shelved, but I can't be certain.

I imagine I am the only person on this site who does not own an Elan. It has been my life's ambition, but I don't think it is going to happen now. However I am probably the only person on this site who rode around in a number Elan 'ideas' that did not come to fruition (like the one with the glass top which flew off on the M1), and the Europa and the Lotus Cortina. Frequently !
Maureen B-N
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: