Club Lotus Elan Section - An Update

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:14 pm

ardee_selby wrote:[quote="GrUmPyBoDgEr] Yes "the peasants" have refused to salute me when I pass them on my bike whilst on the shopping run :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Is it any wonder ? :roll: :lol: :lol:

The attachment grumpy bodgers bike.jpg is no longer available
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

My shop bicycle has migrated to outside storage, either in the back of my pickup or sitting next to the garage. This one has been around the U.S. a few times and went missing for last year but was returned to the same location a day later and I retrieved it. The tyres are suffering a bit but I rode it this summer to the annual heritage days. It's just one of the dumpers that followed me home.

Gary

Beau's shovel
motoB.JPG and

(on the left) right off the metal pile at the old dump
elan_factory_c.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:40 pm

piss-ant wrote:
ardee_selby wrote:[quote="GrUmPyBoDgEr] Yes "the peasants" have refused to salute me when I pass them on my bike whilst on the shopping run :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Is it any wonder ? :roll: :lol: :lol:

grumpy bodgers bike.jpg
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

My shop bicycle has migrated to outside storage, either in the back of my pickup or sitting next to the garage. This one has been around the U.S. a few times and went missing for last year but was returned to the same location a day later and I retrieved it. The tyres are suffering a bit but I rode it this summer to the annual heritage days. It's just one of the dumpers that followed me home.

Gary

Beau's shovel
motoB.JPG

(on the left) right off the metal pile at the old dump
elan_factory_c.jpg
[/quote]

Very 60's Gary & well worth preserving

I think I can recognise some nice period Campagnolo bits on there & those Weinmann 999 brakes looked so much tidier than the Mafacs of the day but they never caught on with the serious racers.
Shame it doesn't have an English frame though. :wink:

Oi & don't you dare think about using that shovel!!!!

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:59 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote: Are we still on topic? :wink:

Oh well, in for a penny...before Tim says "On yer bike" !

Elans...
Sprints...
Elites...
Esprits...
Excelles... (sic)
Eclairs... (sic)

http://www.vintagelotusbicycles.com/Mod ... html#Chart

I'd like to know the background to these...
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:51 pm

I thought we were in "Free Trashing"? No. OK I've got a Sprint photo

I forgot I owned a Sprint.JPG and

Its not French but I bought this one and paid real money. I needed a lightweight so I bought the Guerciotti back in 1988 then I got out of it shortly after, when I did get back into riding again it was with a Cannondale Dump bikes. One street and one mountain bike. 9 lives again...

cannondale.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Tim,
Is it possible to view the register yet?

A couple of the links seem to take one back where one started.

If you need any help with Elan photos... just ask. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:19 am

Pete

Regarding the register, for the time being we have decided to keep the full register out of the public domain. We shall review that decision as we progress.

The reasons are many and tricky. There are a number of issues around data protection, individual personal confidentiality, possible car cloning and others, about which we have debated long and hard. Some of those arguments have been aired on this forum in the past.

In an ideal world the register would be available to all members. However, for the time being we have decided that we will make available information on individual cars where a member asks for such on their car, or on a specific car they may be interested in buying. At some stage in the future we may be able to provide more general information, such that may be useful to anyone interested in Lotus history, or that might help confirm numbers of Elan types made but as I said, that is something we are keeping under review for the time being.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 pm

So; a Secret Register? I'm having some problems visualising that!
Shirley, if you don't list addresses, other than a town location you're free of DP regs? The DPHQ is just down the road from me, if you want me to pop in and clarify anything, just give me a shout.
I'm jiggered if I can recall if I registered either of my cars; that's why I asked the question. If the register is secret, what's the point in registering?
Why don't you come to an arrangement with Jim at Unibrain, after all he has something of a head-start on CL.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi Pete

Absolutely not secret, but it's content is available, for the the time being, to any member for info on their car or a car they might be interested in buying.

As we have indicated before, we are not rushing at this and one of the things we have considered is that we should continue to review our stance on this. In other words, all or parts of the register may become free to view only by members at some stage in the future. However, we are working closely with the factory in an effort to rebuild the Elan records (some of which have been destroyed, some of which are missing) and at the moment they are being very helpful in providing most of the information they are able to, though they feel that for the moment some of it should not be in the 'public' domain, as they are particularly keen to avoid any dishonest use of car numbers for overt or covert duplication.

We understand that this is sensitive on a number of levels to a number of people. That is why we are being cautious as we set up CLES. Jim Boone's Unibrain register is great and sure, as far as a register is concerned, it has been going a good while. But his register and the CLES are two different animals. On Jim's site owners willingly put information on their own cars into the public domain. The CLES is not just a register, but a focal point for all things Elan, including what we hope will become a huge and wonderful archive of Elan related material, available for all members to view and search freely whenever they wish from the comfort of their computer screens. We also established the Section so that there was a 'home' for Elan enthusiasts, which we felt was missing from the current line-up of clubs and organisations. I would hasten to add that we feel lotuselan.net provides the best global forum for Elan nuts and we shall have a dedicated link to it on the CLES site.

I would re-iterate that at this stage we are taking things steadily, we can not establish the Section as we would wish straight away and we also have to find our feet as we build it.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: