Overpriced? Sprints, & Register of Dodgy Stripes, Arches & D

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:48 am

nebogipfel wrote:Alan, Yes the first production engines were 1500cc but that's not what he meant.

He was referring to the first ever test run as I understand it. I'm not even sure the twink head will fit onto either the 997 or 1200 Anglia block, but I was just passing the message on.

We need someone who was there to tell us the story first hand.

Mark, If I recall correctly the 1340cc and 1500cc blocks were the same size? but I was specifically told 997cc 105E.

As I say, I remain unconvinced, but I thought it was an interesting little snippet .......more so if true :wink:

Ah! Just goes to prove that a little knowledge is just that.... a little knowledge :oops: I remembered seeing Anglia supers back in the 60's with 1500 engines (116E) and made the link to 1500 twincams. I have just grudgingly read Mark's link referring to a Ford car designed by Lotus and it appears to shed the correct sort of provenance on the subject that it was a smaller capacity engine block used to develop the twincam because the 116E hadn't been produced yet.
It's easy to see how some of the more common myths are born, a little like Chinese Whispers where the original words or phrases are embellished or misheard before being passed on.

What's the odds it will be snowing when I collect my S4?

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:06 pm

There is a problem with lots of these stories relating to Lotus, many of them are just that, stories.

I have seen the same errors repeated over and over in web postings and magazine articles, as no doubt have all of us.

In academic papers you reference your sources to give them at least a degree of credibility but that doesn't happen in automotive articles.

The story I relate is third hand and unless clear photographic and documentary evidence, or corroborative statements from others who were present is available that's all it'll ever be.

To clarify however, I don't think the engine was in a car and got the impression it was perhaps a first run test of the prototype twink head.
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Just had a quick look at Miles Wilkins' book, and it seems that the first bench run was using a 1340 109E short engine, but then they built an 1100cc 105E block engine using a 109E crank and pistons, with modified piston crowns....so they did kindof use an Anglia engine, but after the 109E, and this was around the end of Octiober 1961.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:19 pm

I found Tim's post above very interesting, and here's the reason why.
Back in 73 I noticed a sprint for sale in a dealers based at Windmill Hill Enfield. Being young and easily won over at the chance of owning a sprint I subsequently bought the car. Not knowing too much about Sprints at the time I indeed felt pretty cool.
Now here's the rub, the PO was a Warren Ginsberg so it follows that I must have owned the car mentioned. From what I can remember, it definitely had a Lotus twin cam engine not too sure about the bottom end though. The car had had some repairs done to the front end and fouled up plugs like nobody?s business. But I still enjoyed it and to think I may have been driving around in a sooped up Anglia :shock:
Perhaps there are times when it's best not to know, ignorance is bliss

MickG
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:26 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Just had a quick look at Miles Wilkins' book, and it seems that the first bench run was using a 1340 109E short engine, but then they built an 1100cc 105E block engine using a 109E crank and pistons, with modified piston crowns....so they did kindof use an Anglia engine, but after the 109E, and this was around the end of Octiober 1961.

Mark

And while I don't doubt Miles for a second and just to illustrate my point was he there at the developmental stages of the twink (surely he's not old enough)? and if not how did he get the info'? who is he quoting?

It's all a very long time ago :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:45 pm

If they used a 109 Crankshaft it still a 1340 with an 81 mm bore. My guess is the 1100 was a big bore. I believe that these early proto twin cams were 85 mm bore and 1100cc is the displacement with a 105e crankshaft.

The same goes for the third development 1477 is a 65 mm stroke 109e crankshaft and 85 mm bore.

early twink.JPG and

Bores and strokes from Dave Bean English Ford engine catalog
early Kent.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:49 pm

Mick, I doubt that you had a modified Anglia....I'm sure they would have found a modified Cortina lump to stick in, so it was like all other Elans!

John....I think that you would enjoy reading his book. I'm no techie, but this is probably one of the best researched and informed analysis of any Lotus subject, and put together by a very smart bloke over 10 years.

Who did he talk to? One or two folks......

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Miles knows his Lotus history. He has not been the only one to write of the time that Jim Clark had to drive home from Goodwood up to Scotland. He was given the works Anglia (LHD Reg 335 AXY) with the third development twin cam head fitted to a 109E block and did the journey in record time.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:John....I think that you would enjoy reading his book. I'm no techie, but this is probably one of the best researched and informed analysis of any Lotus subject, and put together by a very smart bloke over 10 years.

Who did he talk to? One or two folks......

Mark

I'm hoping to find a copy at a sensible price then I may enjoy reading it :shock:

Miles' reputation precedes him and I would certainly not wish to argue with anything he says. He is probably right, and for me that's always the problem, there's usually an element (perhaps small) of doubt.
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Back on one of the topics, if you can't decide how to do the gold above the rear bumper, why not just leave it out?

cop out.jpg and

same car different angle

cop out 2.jpg and
Last edited by Spyder fan on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Back on one of the topics, if you can't decide how to do the gold above the rear bumper, why not just leave it out?

Yes I did that on one of mine back in the old days. IMO It looks better than a stripe running up the back bumper. :wink:
John

nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Totally agree...that looks spot on!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Splutter!

I hate it when you lot talk dodgy.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:50 pm

There's a bit of Essex geeza in all of us!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Spyder fan wrote:I remembered seeing Anglia supers back in the 60's with 1500 engines (116E) and made the link to 1500 twincams.

Always thought Anglia Supers were 1200..........?
Last edited by elj221c on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: