Xmas in San Diego

PostPost by: ColcS3FHC » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if any Californians out there can help me out please?....

I`m going to be spending the Xmas hols with the in-laws, in Escondido, and was wondering if any of you could "point me in the right direction" of anything new to look at/ go and see please?
I`ve done the SD museums at Balboa park, the "auto museum" at the winery (near Escondido) on the 15, Symbolic at La Jolla...... but was wondering if you knew of any shows/cruises etc going on at xmas time?
Perhaps I could come and see your cars? :)

Thanks for your helps Guys...

Colin.
1967 S3 FHC + 1966 Jomo 1000cc F3
ColcS3FHC
New-tral

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:28 pm

There are a few of us down here in the SD area. I'll check and see what car-related events are scheduled for the two weeks surrounding Christmas.

Don't know that you'd want to see my Elan, as it is still in pieces, and despite my efforts may well remain that way past the beginning of the year.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi Colin,

Well, I am here in Escondido and you are welcome to come by and have a look at my S2. You can reach me at: rob dot walker at sbcglobal dot net

If you are here for a Saturday morning, a don't miss is Cars and Coffee up in Irvine. But you have to be an early riser. Starts at 6A and is pretty much over by 8:30A. If you are interested, I can supply further details.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ColcS3FHC » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Jim/Rob,

thanks for the replies.... great to hear any suggestions Jim. We always get over to Del Mar at least once during our stay...

We normally come over september time, so manage to catch "Crusin Grand" in Escondido which is great.... wish we had something like that here!!!
I`ll send you a mail Rob... be good to meet you... likewise Jim, if you are about.

Cheers Guys...

Colin.
ColcS3FHC
New-tral

PostPost by: stovekjj » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:46 pm

I live in downtown (1km S.of balboa museums), and we aways find it interesting to have outdoor ice skating here.. most interesting at the Hotel Del in Coronado ( where Marilyn Monroe filmed 'some like it hot' ) where you see the ocean from your skates.. and childrens/seal beach in LaJolla is always neat. The wild animal park that feeds the SD zoo is a place I like, and near where you are staying..

always wanted to visit the Palomar observatory, so that could be interesting...

you can always greet my original (well worn) 67 S3 45/7839.. It's my daily driver except if it rains (top has not been up for 3 years).
stovekjj
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ColcS3FHC » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Ross.... Whoops!!

Thanks for the ideas stovekjj. We`ve done all those. Might do the wild animal park again though!
We did the Palomar Obsevatory last time we were over..... not sure I`d make a special trip to see it, but if you are over that way, yes, it`s worth going to.... especially the roads up to it!!
Yes, if we get down to downtown SD, I`d love to see your Elan. We do quite often head over to Coronado, to go to "Pheoli`s (?) restuarant...

Colin.
ColcS3FHC
New-tral

PostPost by: cal44 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Colin, you can pop down to Borrego Springs and have a hike through Palm Canyon and go through the natural history museum. Have a cheeseburger and a Coke downtown. There are thousands of acres of Federal protected land to hike as well.

Or a nice trip to Palm Springs. There is one of my favorite Mexican food eats on Palm Canyon Drive. Just south of the (Starbucks on the corner midtown) on the opposite side of the street. Forgot the name. You can eat next to the sidewalk outside or inside.

Peterson Auto Museum in L.A but that is a bit of a hike, and it is L.A........
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: