Attachments
Jons Car.jpg and
Blue!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:35 am

Looks like my choice is not popular, so i'm going to go for it :twisted:

Seriously, I know yellow (or green) are the popular choice but i guess I wanted some thing a bit different, at the moment I only have the rear wings done but think I will press ahead with the wedgewood on the other panels and will leave off the yellow nose stripe for now.

Cheers
Jon
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 am

dusty wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:Well I'm not backing down Jon.
Regardless of what colour you finally decide on, if you stick with the polished Alloy Body you're making a Rod for your own Back.
I had a set of split rim BBS alloys on a BMW once & they needed almost weekly attention with the Brasso.
Don't take me too seriously; I'm enjoying your rebuild series & am seriously in envy of your Toy :)

Cheers
John

I'm going to stick with the bare alloy body for now, most of the modern polishes claim to give up to three months protection against tarnishing, but time will tell. I imagine I may paint the body in time when it gets covered in stone chips and marks.

Well I do admit that your 7's Body does look bloomin' pretty as it is.
One question I've been meaning to ask:-
When I repaired my S1 I had to re-skin the Passenger Side & the curved portion around the front of the rear Wheel had the Alloy sheet well wrapped over & going a fair way down on the inside.
The Solution I decided on was to make 2 Parts with a split along the Centreline of the Tube it was wrapped around. I then got a skilled Welder to weld the 2 Parts together in Situ.
I cleaned up the Weld until it wasn't visible.
(No I wasn't too concerned about the Paint on the Chassis tube being destroyed by the Welding; I had a different way of thinking back then :oops: )

Yours appears to just wrap around the Tube & stop there; I assume that is the way they did it on later 7's?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:08 pm

D.J.Pelly wrote:
Yours appears to just wrap around the Tube & stop there; I assume that is the way they did it on later 7's?

Cheers
John

Yes it goes around just enough so that you can't see the chassis tube (unless you look from underneath). I'll have to look more closely at an S1 next time to see if they are different.

Cheers
jon
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: