Coast to Coast in a LOTUS

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:51 pm

For a number of years I have entertained the notion of a cross country trip on primarily two lane roads in one of my old Lotus cars. Call it a bit of a nostalgic recapturing of the simpler times of the past. Using a Lotus as the tool would add some uncertainty to the process, though it would also add the feel of what our parents and grandparents would have experienced in their travels and, I?m sure will provide stories for future winter nights. All I needed was a reason; a time to go. That came to pass when LOG 30 was announced for October 2010 in Gettysburg, PA. The objective and the timing were clear!

I have chosen to take Highway US 50 which goes through 12 states and, as Wikipedia says clearly, ?runs through mostly rural desert and mountains in the Western United States, with the section through Nevada known as the "Loneliest Road in America". In the Midwest, US 50 continues through mostly rural areas of farms as well as a few large cities including Kansas City, Missouri; St. Louis, Missouri; and Cincinnati, Ohio. The route continues into the Eastern United States, where it passes through the Appalachian Mountains in West Virginia before heading through Washington, D.C.?

Now we?re talking about a Lotus road. Other than around several major cities such as Kansas City and St. Louis, and a stretch through eastern Utah where the road is conjoined with Interstate 70, it still remains a carefree highway of two lanes that goes through the cities and towns rather than bypasses them. In addition, it goes through some of the prettiest parts of the country, touches the shores of both Atlantic and Pacific oceans and provides a unifying theme to the trip. The start point would be Point Lobos, at the west end of Golden Gate Park in San Francisco where the road is close enough to the ocean that one could dip a toe into it and walk to the car still wet. The ending point; Ocean City, Maryland, a town whose name says all it needs to say. If I carried that shoe dipped into the Pacific in a sealed bag, I could don it and repeat the feat, symbolically mixing the water of the two oceans.

So, now come the reasons for this posting:

1. Which car should I take? I have a 1968 Seven S3 that has no top so I would be at the mercy of the elements yet has an easier lope at 65 miles per hour than my 1965 Elan S2 that has more storage, better weather gear and more comfort.
2. How can I get some help to get whichever car to the start point, or at least near it?
3. Who is along the route that would like to meet, greet or eat as I come by your home town?
4. Does anyone want to join me for a portion or all of the journey? I plan on a split shift due to other obligations. September 15-18, 2010 from SF to Pueblo, CO and September 30 to October 5, 2010 from Pueblo, CO to Ocean City, MD. The days average about 360 miles except the last one from Alexandria, VA to Ocean City which is about half that. Modification of the days stops are possible of course.

Thoughts? Comments?
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:43 am

I guess I did a similar trip back in August 1996. I took 24 days off from work and most of the east was on interstate as 30 to 50mph zones on the eastern U.S routes are not much fun. After leaving Michigan I didn't touch another interstate until I got near Chicago on the return leg. My basic route was northern U.S. starting in Massachusetts at my house and driving through N.Y., Ontario, Canada, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Alberta, up to Dawson Creek and back south into British Columbia. At the end of the first week I was at my friend?s brother?s house in Moscow, Idaho and spent the weekend there. Sunday morning I was off to Everett, Washington to see my cousin and spent a few days there. I did some traveling and headed east along the U.S. and Canada border back through Idaho and into Utah and into Steamboat springs, Colorado for the vintage races the second weekend of the trip. I left Sunday and headed north into Wyoming and then east along U.S. Route 20 and kept heading east until I got into Illinois and stopped to see my Aunt and uncle and then down to Indy to visit another cousin. The final leg was 900 miles home on Sunday evening at 11 p.m.
I estimate that it was close to 8500 miles and most of the traveling was during the weekdays, weekends were for visiting and resting. I brought many spares and 48 quarts of oil, I needed another 3 quarts to finish the trip. The only thing that broke was the ignition wire from the switch and that was a 5-minute fix in Michigan. I took the S4 Elan and the top was down from Scituate to British Columbia when drizzle turned to heavy drizzle and the road was under construction and was a one-lane road and I was sitting for a half an hour waiting for our lane to go. A total of 20 states and 3 Canadian provinces, No cell phone, no support, no motels and solo, I slept on a lot of picnic tables out west, the only way to fly. Do it Ross...

Gary
Last edited by garyeanderson on Fri May 07, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:03 am

Hi Ross, your starting point near San Francisco is in my back yard and would consider a trip part way. Keep me informed as to your plans as they develop.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:14 pm

I can only offer an opinion on the first one...I would leave the one in better condition at home.....
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Gary:
You wrote: "No cell phone, no support, no motels and solo, I slept on a lot of picnic tables out west, the only way to fly. Do it Ross..."

Thanks for the encouragement. I must admit you are a braver man than I. I plan on a cell phone and motels though I will be solo I think.

Sarto:
I will keep you posted. I am still adjusting the route to avoid Interstates though the Bay bridge seems inescapable and, through the East Bay, 24 looks like the best option as I will be going counter to the main commuter traffic. From Walnut Creek I plan on using the Ygnacio Valley Road to CA 160 and on to Sacramento.

Rich: They are both in pretty good nick, but your comment seems to be counter intuitive. I am thinking I want the one in the best condition for a 3,500 mile trip. Can you clarify?
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:46 pm

And by the way, Gary, I was racing at Steamboat in 1996 in my red Elan S2 #90 with yellow bumpers. Does that ring a bell?
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Ross,

I don't think you have to totally ignore interstates.

My car is set up with 3.55 differential and either 165-13 or 185/70-13 tires. 4000 rpm is 75 mph and 4250 rpm is 80 mph. This keeps you out of the way of some of the traffic.

My ex-wife and I took numerous trips with this configuration. Packing a picnic basket and swapping drivers every two hours allowed for long distances to be covered with minimal fatigue (A FHC is pretty comfortable on long trips). LA to Portland to visit the relatives. LA to Napa Valley for wine tasting with the side benefit of the Lotus oriented roads in the Napa/Sonoma mountains.

So that allows you to take the senic roads where they exist and cover long distances on the interstates otherwise. As my car got older, all I did was to make sure to pack more oil! Otherwise, a well maintained car should have no problems. After all, it is less than 10,000 miles, even if you take substantial side trips.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:55 pm

Ha, yes you have a point. I have just had my chrome refinished and the shell resprayed. I was thinking about stone chips, car park scrapes, things like that. Not engine leaks and the like.....
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:23 am

Thanks for the input everyone. Please keep it coming.

David:
I have a 3.9 or 4.1 rear axle ratio, (I'm not sure which) and 165/65 X 13 tires on my S2 Roadster (No snug coupe for me) making for about 4,000 rpm at 65 mph. I plan on getting new 165 X 13 tires prior to the trip but that still will be about 4,000 at 69 mph. Also, the big 18 wheeler trucks make me feel so small on the bigger, multi-lane freeways. Not so bad in Utah where the traffic is light, but through St. Louis? And, like you, I don't expect to have any significant problems, since the car is used regularly and in good shape mechanically.

Rich:
I understand your position though I am certain neither of my cars is pristine enough to worry about road rash. Besides, for what would I keep it pristine? Memories are better than a perfect car if I could get it there. This is a car that caught on fire just blocks from my home and has been fully resurrected to run, baby, run!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:21 am

I envy your position. My lifelong dream holiday
is to drive a soft top New York to San Francisco on the small roads. And I daren't even take my car out in the rain at the moment!
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:34 am

Hi Ross

I checked my Speeding ticket records (spy in the sky) from that trip and I received one on Sunday, September 1st 1996 in Iowa on U.S. Rt 20 the day after leaving steamboat springs so we both have the right year but I do not remember your car that Saturday. I talked with Ian Rainford with his Climax powered Jomar and spent some time talking with Gene Theriault with his white S2 Elan, Not sure how we missed each other. As far as your route goes I would let the weather dictate that, If it raining drive around it your not on any fixed time table so if you have to drive a couple hundred miles extra, so what, no big deal. I did this in August 2007 when I went west to pickup the Cortina mk1 roller I had bought in April. I was heading to San Diego and took the northern route again (F250 with broken AC) via Monterey. 3 days of 105 degrees with Beauregard is not much fun as it turned out we had about 8 hours of 90 plus in Idaho through Nevada but most of the U.S. at that time was over 100 F so I felt we did pretty good. As far as city traffic goes, try to time it for a non-rush hour sting, 20 minutes on an interstate is not a big thing, in and out so to speak. Its not like you will be on I 95 from Boston to Florida.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Ross,

Just a note from one NYLOC (Lotus) nut this side of the pond, good luck with your trip etc. whichever Lotus you use.
I am sure the other members of your club (GeoffC and Brian) would love to do this trip with you, if they could.
I will let them know what you are up to, I will also keep an eye on the post for updates etc as you progress.

When it happens we all expect to see some photo's along the way.

All the best,

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi Ross,
Good luck and God Speed with your epic trip. It has long been my dream to make a long distance motoring trip across a large continent on local roads rather than highways.

The Elan S2 would be my choice of transport, but maybe thats because I live in the UK where Lotus 7 type cars are pretty commonplace and hardly noticed on our roads, the S2 is a very rare sight in the Uk and probably anywhere else in the world and will in my opinion result in more smiles per mile :D

I think that you will meet a lot of people who will make the trip worthwile, these will be simple everyday folk who will make you realise that the world is full of good and honest souls whether they be petrolheads or just pleased to talk to someone who has made their day by arriving in something a little different.

There is no such thing as an unreliable Lotus, so don't agonise over needing a support group.......... Just remember the 7 P's of wisdom.... Proper, Prior, Planning, Prevents, Pi**, Poor, Performance! ('Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious' was invented by a jealous main stream rival)

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:24 am

REALITY CHECK
I don't want to but I gotta ask why.
The potholes in Cincinnati are enough to make you turn around and go back when you optimistically thought they'd end in St. Louis.
But, if you insist, sure, check in with me, I'll help with any woes you may have passing through or near The Queen City of the West on US 50.
It's a wonderful drive, if I were you I'd break rank and drive AROUND all the big cities on scenic routes recommended by the locals.

Eric

...once you take the salty shoe out of the bag, dip it in the Atlantic, and climb back into the Elan... then what?

If necessary you can catch me on the flip flop too.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:54 pm

Well my computer was supposed to be down for updated systems for about two to four hours on Tuesday. I am finally mostly back in business with just some sync issues for my IT guy to solve. So, sorry, I'm just now posting responses to folks from Tuesday.

Gary,
I don't know how we missed each other, as I raced Steamboat from 1992 to the last event in 1998, except for 1995. Anyway, thanks for you good thoughts and I'm attaching a photo of the race Elan to see if maybe it will jog your memory of seeing it without me around.

Doug,
Nice to hear from you again. How is your beautiful Sprint doing? Is it all better from the shunt when I was with you NYLOC lads at the LeMans Classic in 2008? How about a photo?

Spyder Fan,
Thanks for the encouragement to take the Elan. I think that is what I will be doing. Even a couple of fellows on the Sevens list have said the Elan is the better choice. I have so many trip miles in the Seven though it is like an old shoe. I am confident in both cars as they are driven regularly and maintained well. I think of them as reliable even though I have had the odd problem (http://www.simplesevens.org/robbinsstoryII.htm) in the middle of nowhere. But, as you note, kind folks are everywhere and have always been helpful to me and made the trip memorable in a way just driving there in a modern car never would.

Eric,
Why? Because it is there, as Sir Edmund Hillary so aptly said. It is just one of the things on my "Bucket List" to do. I would welcome both a chance to visit or have a meal with you on my way through southern Ohio and a recommendation for a more Lotus friendly route around or through Cincinnati although US 50 does become a parkway along the river and looks reasonably interesting. I do paln on taking detours around Kansas City and St. Louis, but will go right through Washington DC and San Francisco. Sigh.
Once I dip the shoe, I will head to Gettysburg for LOG 30 and there I will meet a friend with trailer space back to Colorado. Diesel power, A/C, tunes and cruise control. Ahhh!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: