Elan.net dead, from the ashes it's been reborn

PostPost by: memini55 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Hello everyone!

This is one of the best and most imformative site I have found. Helpful to new and old members alike.
Everyone has different levels of understanding what has been said and this also goes for ones since of humor, or lack there of. I for one have been around the site for many years and feel I have made some positive comments when I felt them needed. Most of the time I sit and read and learn which is the beauty of the site and the wealth of imformation that comes out of it. A person has the chance to make there own judgement on what they have read and in some cases they choose to bash or add humor to a post. When that happens the next reader can choose to read the post or move on.

I know from my early post it sometimes was looked at as a stupid post and did get much for a reply and maybe that has kept me personally from not posting as much as I could. I was taught a long time ago that there is no stupid question and only a stupid person that does not ask the question in the first place.

I for one would agree that this is a woinderful site and would welcome new members. Everyone keep posting!

Mark/ Iowa?USA/I did!

PS Thanks to Gary for the introduction post! I have enjoyed learning about everyones history and there location. And sorry Eric, I'm one that can't spell and type with two fingers and mostly thumbs.
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:38 pm

welll I have been busy chasing parts for the tranny and took a break to see what is happening on the site and I see some of the same self serving ;judgemental ; petty and narrow minded thinking people are still posting their rampantly 'correct' ideas here --PETROL ON THE HEAD ? THAT IS NOT THE CORRECT USAGE OF THE TERM 'PETROL HEAD ' ----well back to accomplishing something useful -- :roll: ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Boston Sam ---- don't change jets on a Weber carb once it runs correctly --- much better to reroute the air intake to pick up warm air around the block or exhaust header [preferred] for the winter --and change it back in the warm weather ----ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:14 am

Hi Mark, no need to apologize, that was my lame way to say that the ONLY way we all communicate here is by typing. We may all love Elans but we're spread out all over the world and have this one common thread to help one another.
You wrote,
"This is one of the best and most imformative site I have found. Helpful to new and old members alike.
Everyone has different levels of understanding what has been said and this also goes for ones since of humor, or lack there of. I for one have been around the site for many years and feel I have made some positive comments when I felt them needed. Most of the time I sit and read and learn which is the beauty of the site and the wealth of imformation that comes out of it. A person has the chance to make there own judgement on what they have read and in some cases they choose to bash or add humor to a post. When that happens the next reader can choose to read the post or move on"

Those are my feelings too, exactly.
Thanks, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:12 pm

I like it just the way it is. Except for this kind of post.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 am

Hmmm, I have always felt everyone added some color to this site. While I no longer have an Elan, sad but true, I still hang out and enjoy everyone's company, debates and arguments. Variety is the spice of life and this site can get spicy sometimes.

Richglib, your avatar, is it from Bowie's Man who fell to earth?

Thank you all for being here.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:03 pm

type36lotus wrote:
Richglib, your avatar, is it from Bowie's Man who fell to earth?

Thank you all for being here.

You are going off-topic. This is forbidden. Please pm me for further details on my Ziggy alter ego....pushing through the forum posts, so many members sighing.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:23 pm

[quote="richgilb"pushing through the forum posts, so many members sighing.[/quote]

.... we had five years left to cry in ... my brain hurts a lot ...

sounds like the average Elan restoration.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:41 am

Paddy, Excellent job at getting back on topic. Only Elan S3 Coupe' restoration took six years. But was well worth it.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Tell you what, I've been trying to sort my +2 out for two years now and I still feel like an absolute beginner.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:56 am

Ziggy, you're working on a thoroughbred, it's an edgy car. Push yourself to it's capabilities and the beginner will fade away..... erc
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:48 pm

Did I miss this thread? Free parking so often gets overlooked.

As one of the members who often likes a bit of a banter, I should have picked up on this sooner, but frankly I have been busy with work recently and my free time was taken up reading a court report of 'Old Number 1' that was kindly sent to me by Gary, its about an old works Bentley that was sold in good faith to someone who thought that they were getting the original racecar from the 1920's, but like all competition cars it had been modified or improved over the years so that it didn't resemble the original item and the new owner thought he had been conned. It goes on over a 1000 paragraphs I think, but it is interesting in that it forms the basis upon what we call provenance pertaining to classic or vintage cars.

Its a bit like this forum, I only know it from the last year or so (lurking and eventually joining), but I know that there is a vast depth of knowledge on virtually every topic imaginable on Elans available for search. BUT, I don't like searching, I like a bit of human company, okay...... Gary, Derek, Mark etc and all the other five gear members have probably already answered all the questions I could ever ask, but you guys have changed over the years and your new answer to an old question may be different or improved from a previous one OR there just might be someone new who can shed more light or explain more clearly on a specific item............ The forum has changed but I can still see the connection to the original, therefore it still has provenance in my eyes.

As for the sarcastic comments, smileys, smart alec one liners and all that>>>>>>> I say keep em coming, I can take it..... I am aware however that some members find it a little offensive especially when they have taken time and care to either start an interesting thread or answer specifically a particular question thats backed up with photo's or drawings. I still think Lotus Cortinas are Cr*p though. (SORRY COULDN'T RESIST THAT)

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Alan --good to see there is one who doesn't get all weepy when their opinion is questioned --ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusdelta » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:13 pm

well,

that was interesting reading...
Ive been a member on the site for several years and to be honest when i first started i knew little about the mechanics of maintaining my elan.....but i learned as i went...thanks to the club here...people always ready to help....I learned about the things that catch you out (bad ground in the trunk) , learned how to re-wire the power windows, figured out the brake lights and the bad switch under the pedal....everytime getting advise from people here on the site... and gradually became more confident as I went...found out my coupe may be the last federalised coupe imported...etc. . I appreciate Garys comments (he's helped me several times) and can sense where he was going with the comment and know he means well.
But I know where the ignore and off button are if the comments get nasty. In short ive learned a lot ,am still learning and have never lost my passion for these special cars.
thanks to all,
David
lotusdelta
72 elan sprint coupe
72 elan sprint coupe
lotusdelta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: