Elan.net dead, from the ashes it's been reborn

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am

Not that I want to start a war but the emphasis of the forum has changed significantly over the last 10 years. I am not sure what has happened but those folk that were here when it was yahoo groups are mostly gone (or perhaps just gone silent). I have no clue about the reasons, I do have a few observations that may not please some people but I have never been about pleasing folks, just helping. The first thing I have to say is in the early days when people posted a topic there was a sense that they would get an answer that was inline with there question. It was all about learning and not about talking. Thread drift happened in the course of conversation but was not the main direction of a topic. Taking a shot at someone or someone?s ideas was not a common occurrence, it surely happened but not to the extent that it does now. Maybe a lot of folks just moved on but I don?t believe that is really the case. If I started naming names I am sure I can come up with a dozen contributors that left because they just didn?t need the grief from those just having a ?bit of fun?. I wont as they may be reading and not just contributing due to their perception of it no longer worth their time to get all worked up about what they see as and off handed comment directed at them. Some may think well they are just thin skinned but that?s not the point. I guess a lot of this is about Ed Law and his 26r (weather it is or not, I don?t know) but when I or anyone else (yes I as guilty as others) just flatly deny his claim without ever seeing his Elan is just wrong. My man ?Art? who?s first post (and second and maybe last) comes on the forum opening up scab (with a bit of Ed?s own help) without introducing himself is the classic example of the crap I am talking about. This isn?t A$$ holes anonymous, A person with no name and one post has ZERO credibility but is read by all just the same as some established member. This is an Elan forum for helping folks with problems and trying to help identify the cars they have. This is for all intents an un-moderated forum and it?s worked pretty well for the most part. I do not want to see anyone leave as we all have a lot to offer and we also (everyone of us) have a lot to learn. Please think, read and re-read your posts with this in mind, a lot of fun can be had without the barbs on some of the jabs that are thrown.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Well, I find it mostly interesting and informative, and very much alive.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:40 pm

Gary, I think that your recent attempts to control the content, direction and behaviour on LotusElan.net are having the exact opposite effect. In general, people don?t like to be told how to behave or how to conduct themselves, especially when the vast majority of those people are well educated and mature individuals who have been around the planet a few times.

Most of us are here for serious exchange of information AND opinion. But that doesn?t preclude having a bit of fun and banter when two or more consenting adults are taking part. Just because a thread goes off topic doesn?t detract from the content of the forum, in fact it very often creates a new chain of dialogue that is more interesting than the initiating topic.

If you just want to stick to factual stuff that hasn?t been covered before, then most questions will get the response of ?do a search? or ?read Buckland book / workshop manual / parts manual / Ross & Robinshaw / ? and that will be the end of the topic?and the forum.

As for the flaming, I?ve never seen anybody flamed on this forum who hasn?t already poured a gallon of petrol over their head?and Ed must have a plentiful supply.

Of course the forum has changed over the past 10 years, as more data has been un-earthed and better information is available for everybody. The sort of knowledge Brian Buckland has imparted with his book on the Elan has provided a step-change in understanding how to restore / maintain our cars. From the historic and originality viewpoint, the websites being developed by Tim Wilkes (Sprint) and Tim Mees (Type 26) are providing structured information never available before.

LotusElan.net is not a church or a library, and this isn?t an academic institution or commercial enterprise. We?re a bunch of enthusiasts who look at and / or contribute because we want to. If anything had to change, I would suggest making it more inviting and welcoming to newcomers rather than trying to lay down a bunch of rules on behaviour. Who are you? Where do you come from? Introduce yourself? If I was a newbie seeing that I would think that I?ve accidentally stumbled across an alcoholics-anonymous site for retired army types.

Let?s get back to exchanging information and having a bit of fun with it.

Mark / England / No
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:33 pm

This could get entertaining :D

Jon / Ireland / when I get time...
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:40 pm

I watching as well!

Terry / France / I did it!
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Boston-Sam » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Snow this morning in Boston prevented me from driving my dhc to work. Too bad - it runs better on cold days.

On the exchange of information subject, I am curious: a mechanic friend recommends changing the jets in the webers for cold weather - is there any consensus about that?

Sam
Yellow 1967 RHD DHC 45/6513
Boston-Sam
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:12 pm

We all have our own ideas of what fun should be and as such I put mine in here (free parking) as I guess that is the closest to where it may belong. It might not belong anywhere on this forum at all, I don't know. I have and will continue to express myself as best I can. If folks don't like the topics I post, that?s all right, there is an option to mark people on this forum as friend or foe. I have tried it in the past and works pretty well. If you don't like what I have to offer then mark the topic read and don't bother to reply to my post, I'll get the hint. I have had differences with many and I guess I will continue. I don't want to see anyone leave that includes Art, Ed, myself and anyone that contributes. Good banter is one thing but I guess I don't see good banter as folks getting to the point of leaving the forum. As I have said in the past we all come from different backgrounds and different parts of the world. What some see as a good bit of fun, others interpret as direct insults. If people don't understand that, I haven?t a clue on what I can say for others to understand. This forum is supposed to be for FUN. I may come across as a jerk many times, possibly all the time. I am wrong a lot, this forum media is not perfect and my grammar and English skills are and always have been below average. A smiley face doesn't really convey a lot of emotion for me. In the past I was seeing some topics that I thought were somewhat unrelated to where they were posted, I thought I would offer some that folks may want to read related to Elan's. So I posted a bunch, many were duds, but some seemed to be looked at and others were even replied to by folks here. As far as my signature goes, I don't see what the problem is. It?s quite relevant when people ask questions. Sometimes there are questions that require that knowledge before you can answer. Location is almost as important. If you don't want folks to know whom you are or what your background is well don't reply to the post. A lot of folks have and 2000 plus views later its what I would call a "hit", people want to know who they are talking with, that?s all there is to it. If I were lived in England I might know a good percentage of the folks on the forum. I am not. The U.S. is a big place and I know a bunch of people here but I certainly don't know every one. Maybe my A$$ holes anonymous was uncalled for but it was meant for the context of a 2 post person. Tim Wilkes and Tim Mees have made a large contribution to those folks that own these great Elan's, I continue to offer support to them in anyway I can.
Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:Let?s get back to exchanging information and having a bit of fun with it.

Mark / England / No

+1.
I remember when I started posting on LotusElan.net have been criticized for my writing style, bold and green. I was disrupting the gray of the web page of seniors ...
I still think that it is what's on the post we write -or image(s) - that is the most important . Not the number of posts we have on our profile. Stay polite and well mannered is only a way to get an answer. Only.
For fun , Ed , mistakes , Ed , crashs , Ed, , wrong spelling or Ed will do it , always around our favorite machine ...
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 pm

I think that we are in danger of either putting people off joining the forum or putting established members off posting.
The way I see it is that the forum has been set up as public. There is no special joining criteria perhaps there should be , but at the moment there isn't.
When you post a question its the same as going outside you house and shouting a question out. The whole neigbourhood will hear. Some people will respond with a good answer. Some people with a not so good answer. Some people will listen and watch for others to respond. Some people will say "head gasket" , and others will try to sell you a phone. The trick is to read the good answer and know that the person responding is a experienced poster and ignore the rest! We are all old enough and wise enough to do this. We should not worry ourselves with the other answers or worse buy a phone!
I've never seen any nasty comments on here, perhaps someone would post a link so that I can see!
Keep posting everyone!

Terry
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Spot on Terry.
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi Guys,
I know A few guys. One I have discussed the forum with face to face, who just 'lurk' in the background and very seldom 'post'. In his case a real shame 'cause he has a lot to offer, but talking to him I got the impression that he could not take anyone disagreeing with him. As said above, we all have opinions & we all have something to offer, and we should not take the hump and go off ranting when someone differs in opinion.. I got accused of doing an 'opinionated cheque book restoration' !! just because I wanted to do it right and get it right with nil bodges & made the 'mistake' of telling you all week by week what I was doing (and spending!) during the (Forced) restoration of my sprint. Apparently I was not supposed to do this.

I am a firm believer that it is what you learn AFTER you know everything that counts. I for one learn every day from this site. I just got an answer to a question tonight in less than 10 mins. Exactly what I wanted and super quick (Thanks Jon :wink: )

I just say keep it up... Every little helps. :wink: :wink:

Thank you all...

Alex...
Last edited by alexblack13 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:51 am

I gotta go with (in no particular order) Terry, Jim, Alex, Christian, and Mark.
I haven't noticed any change in emphasis. Reborn from ashes?
Some people can type, some people can spell, some people can type fast and spell correctly at the same time.
Some of those people own Lotus Elans.
I think we're all Elan nuts and just a few of us are nuts.
I love this website.

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:59 am

Yup. What Eric said!
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Have been a member of a wide range of auto-forums for triumphs, MGs and lotus's..
I have to see I don't really know what the fuss is about regarding this forum. In general the forum is friendly and informative..
I have been a member for a fair amount of time, since 2002, and it is STILL one of the best auto-forums on the web..
I have been witness to one ousting from the site, when Keith Francks (type26owner) was pushed out by people who didn't appreciate his scientific approach to sidedraft carbs..
These things happen in in life, and he is still doing good work, just elsewhere.

Steering the forum is however a risky thing. The point of a forum like this IS that they are in the wide world and respond to wide world trends. If pushed in the wrong direction it could so easily fall off the edge..

I have to say Gary, I did enjoy your last crusade, and your thread devoted to us all getting to know one another was wonderful..

just my thoughts..
Tim

PS just my opinion, but people who spend the time detailing their restoration in detail are great resources. perhaps (like other sites) we need a restoration blog section
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Boston-Sam wrote:A mechanic friend recommends changing the jets in the webers for cold weather - is there any consensus about that?
I would NEVER replace jets WITH cold weather... :lol:

Sorry! Couldn't resist a jest about jets. Being a Stromberg user I realise that cold weather + jets can be the ICING on the cake... :shock:

Re:
tdafforn wrote:Keith Francks (type26owner) was pushed out by people who didn't appreciate his scientific approach to sidedraft carbs..
I think you'll find he left of his own accord... :wink:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: