KING SIZE

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Does anyone remember a 1970s magazine ad for Rothmans cigarettes which included a photo of a braided pilot's cuff and a Plus Two dash? I was sure I did but can't find anything on the net. Am I imagining it or did it really exist - and if so does someone have a scanned copy?

Many thanks,
Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:07 pm

I've just seen another post on this forum asking exactly the same question with little result. Other brands are mentioned in the replies and I am now no longer sure that it was Rothmans - some even doubt whether the car was a Plus Two. It looks as if I'll have to pour through old magazines now to find the answer.

:shock:
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:17 pm

is this what you mean by any chance?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rothmans-cigarett ... 286.c0.m14

you might remeber at the time Elizabeth Taylor likened Richard Burton (her husband at the time ) to the insciption written inside the lid of a pack of Rothman's
"doubly smooth filter tip plus the extra length "...

p.s. it's not a plus 2 in the picture is it?
RichC
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:50 pm

Thanks Rich C.
I've just scanned ninety pages of old cigarette ads and now my eyes are smoking. Your ad suggests the one I'm thinking off exists after all. It had the braided cuff but the hand on the gear lever with the fag pack on the centre tunnel. It must have been from the same campaign as yours. That yellow car could be a 911 but I'm sure the interior used in my one was a Plus Two. I'll keep on looking.

Thanks,

Si
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Yes, I remember that one.... as a child of course :lol:

the original one had the caption "when you know what you are doing" It was subsequently changed to "when you know what you want" as a result of the then developing anti tobacco advertising lobby
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Oh yes!

That was the ad that made me want a Plus 2. As it was just the dash in the shot I didn't know it was a Plus 2 then, took me years to find out!

The shot was of a models hand on the gearlever of an S-130/4, dressed in Naval uniform, pack of Rothmans on the centre console and a photo-retouched fag between his fingers. As Jono says, strapline was "when you know what you're doing"

I have a copy on my wall but don't have a scanner :(
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Robbie693 wrote
I have a copy on my wall but don't have a scanner

:shock:
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi Everyone

I was just about to write in with exactly this same question

I remember the adds well, they usually appeared in Motor Sport magazine which was one of the few mags at that time (mid to late 70s) to have a colour section. There was definitely one with a Plus 2 but I think it was quite rare, the most common one I recall featured an airline pilot in a Maserati Ghibli

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: