DIY corner weight

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:01 am

To make progress on the setting of the suspension for a coming track day, I have purchased a set of eight 150kg weight scales (about ?80 the set, freight included from the far east), and set my car on them, two per wheel with a piece of 10mm plywood to spread the load) :

corner-weight.jpg and
corner weight on the cheap

not as convenient as a professional tool because of the battery saving auto turn-off feature which makes you jumping out of the car and running around in a crammed garage at the sound of the beep if you don't have an assistant, but it does the job for a fraction of the cost. I only had one afternoon to finish off the car before the event, so decided only to alter the rear since the front appeared rather good, and after one pass that seemed to go in the good direction I applied an incremental blind adjustment just before night fall. The goal being to equalize diagonal weights (driver in the car, about half tank).

After reading the forum on the topic, I had elected a stiffer front bar, 176 lb/in front and 120 lb/in rear springs on the konis which were then reset toward the stiff side; for that occasion I also changed the tires for A048 175 60 13 , which resulted in a body height of about 5"1/4 driver in.

I still have to optimize the settings when I get a chance, but as it is and with the new tires I was very pleased yesterday at Monthl?ry. :D
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:23 am

Glad its working well for you
What size front bar did you go to?
Do you still have the rear rubber springs ?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:38 pm

rgh0 wrote:Glad its working well for you
What size front bar did you go to?
Do you still have the rear rubber springs ?

I went for the "adjustable front ARB" from Kelsport (part # RACEARB1 ), not FIA but for my street car I figured it would help setting it up. I asked about the size/stiffness but could not get a clear answer (...), possibly because it is a tube, not plain like the stock one. They said they recommended it for road use, I had to make up my mind and went by that, got the parts just in time. I've just checked the external diameter : 1" (don't know tube wall thickness, my guess from the flattened end side about 3/16" is a bit more than 2mm); only thing that worries me a little: the socket cap head hex screws that hold the bar are now the low point in the front (I'll make some machined plates for flat heads to smooth that out when I get a chance).

regarding the rubber bumps I replaced the stock Aeon by their "progressive bump stop" (part # RACEBSTOP ), of which I kept the larger 3 rings (the wider one on the photo and the next two, a bit shorter than the stock ones) after checking with them on the phone.

Next upgrade would be on the engine side, bottom end still in the UK, hopefully this will be for 2016... then I'll need to upgrade the driver.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: