Recommendations on fender covers

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:36 pm

Since I will be needing to pull the head to replace the gasket and the car is now painted, I am thinking I should invest in some fender covers. Given the unique size of the Elan's engine compartment, I am sure some fit better than others. Any recommendations? Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Just a bump to get suggestions as to what people do to protect the paint while working on the engine. Thanks, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:02 pm

I use three old towels which have been rescued from domestic duties. But then I am not good at buying something when there is a satisfactory alternative available free.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:35 pm

The covers I have bought in the past are all with magnetic strips so that they stay in place. That's not much good on a Lotus :(

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Dan, I've used a variety of covers one can get from any of the AdvancePepZone stores. If I'm on a long project, I make sure I remove them for the evening otherwise the rubber stuff underneath leaves marks.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 pm

OK, thanks for the ideas. Harbor Freight has them for $9.99, so I will check them out. I think they are 3' x 2', which seems too big, but I guess I could always use sideways. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:55 pm

I got my wife to sew up an old padded blanket that snaps on the two tonneau fittings at the base of the A pillar. She also put an elastic loop on either side that I put around the wheel spinners. The whole of the front of the car is covered & protected. If your car is a FHC then you would have to make a different arrangement to secure the cover at the base of the windshield.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Great idea, and last weekend, I had to divert from Lotus repairs to sewing machine repairs, so she owes me. Still haven't quite mastering timing on it, but the cost of being wrong is only a broken needle. Since I decided to make my new convertible top completely removable, she already signed up to make a bag to store it in the trunk. Cheers, Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stuartgb100 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Made mine out of an old duvet cover, cut and shaped to fit all round the engine bay.
Filled it with thin padding and added a strong builders damp-proof membrane inner liner (this will not let petrol, oil, brake fluid etc through).
I used cloth ribbon straps sewn onto the cover with ends having Velcro pieces also sewn on.
Around the engine bay, I araldited the opposing male/female Velcro match.
To keep it in place, I have sewn on cloth ribbon straps that tie loosely around the windscreen washer arms.

Does for me.

Regards,
Stuart.
stuartgb100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:12 pm

...hope this isn?t too elitist, but the regular snap-on sticks to the fender as if it were magnetic - i can?t remember but not much more than 20$ as far as my memory tells me. the rubber stuff is like the mats you can buy for yr trunk sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: