EZcarlift

PostPost by: miked » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:42 pm

I just received my EZcarlift from the USA. See link below. I put it together yesterday afternoon and cut some timber pieces. My Plus 2 is now up in the air. I am very impressed with the design, build quality, instructions and maintenance regime.

I will shoot some photos and post. I am very impressed with Customer Service. Boytcho has been great. Answered all my questions. I wanted it to lift the Plus 2 and also the little Elan (not baby :lol: ) and went for a compromise of the side bar length to suit both.

I will try the little Elan on it when I have done my job on the Plus 2.

On web site it shows an Elan and the lift at 90 degrees to what it normally sits. With our backbone chassis it is different. I have kept the pads further outboard than the web site photo and put timber from the chassis to the outboard edge of the fibreglass so the weight is shared. You can balance the proportions of this by moving the pads in or out. I have no sag as I am under the jack part. I will send Boytchgo some shots for his site with a Plus 2 on the lift.

I found this on the net after deliberating on the whole nine yards of the kit out there. For me I think this is going to be the ?dogs danglies? as it is light and skoots around like a roller skate.

Mike

http://ezcarlift.com/
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:07 pm

It looks a really useful tool Mike, look forward to the progress pictures
thanks
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: a d price » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:53 pm

this looks a brilliant bit of kit , can you do some pics of your elan on it. I fancy one of these
Piermaster
a d price
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Guys,

My old camera was acting up with the batteries and I need a tidy up. Will do some more with the kit moved and the garage doors open etc. This gives you the idea.

My son came with his greyhound Jeanie and she went straight in and had a run around under the car. Made us laugh. :D

Mike
Attachments
WP_20141124_022.jpg and
WP_20141124_020.jpg and
WP_20141124_018.jpg and
DSCF2054.JPG and
DSCF2052.JPG and
DSCF2051.JPG and
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks for posting this, very interesting lift. Did you get the xm59 cross brace?

Always wanted a good lift for the garage and this looks like it could be very good and has a number of positives over scissor jacks and the Max Jack. Have to admit I think I am blocked by the price. To work with my cars (+2, e39 BMW, Mazda protege) it would cost an extra $350 to get the bits to make it work. Then there shipping of all that.

That makes it more than a Max Jax which will work with almost any car with no extra parts. It take more space to use and store, needs installing and power but it's a real (short) two post lift
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Yeh, the XMC 59 was what we decided upon.

Good Luck with your choice. I like the idea of storing it away. I also have limited roof height with truss system so this does the trick.

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. I am too in limited roof height (8ft) with garage door rails and opener lower than that.

To be honest as much as I want one I doubt I'll get one in the end as I don't think I can find something that really justifies the cost. From my research it is basically 1.5K$ for a scissor jack with a number of draw backs or $2K+ for a EZcar lift or Max Jack which just seems more money than I can justify (or get approval for from the wife..)

If the Ezlift was coming out in the ~$1500 range it would be a lot harder to pass by. Maybe if I get a good bonus this year and some time to work on the wife things might change...

Would be great to here how you find it after a period of use...

Mark
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:49 am

Mark,

If you are a Costco member keep watching their monthly flyer for online sales. I got mine for 2k, and no delivery fee.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:14 am

There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:55 am

Thanks Dan, Pre-zoom,

Not a cost co member but have seen the Max Jack around $2000 online which isn't a bad price just more than I think I can justify spending.

The "Quick Jack" does look very interesting though, not sure how i didn't come across that on my online searching! I need the 5000lb version to lift the e39 (~4000lbs) which bumps the price to ~$1300 but that's is a more do-able price range. First pass of the size/spec suggest it would work. Need to do a little more checking.

Only dis-advantage compared to the Ezlift (and Max Jack somewhat) I can see is that it blocks side access which normally where I go under the car when it's on stands.

Thanks again (and sorry for crashing the thread Mike)
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:00 pm

duplicated
Last edited by miked on Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:00 pm

No problem, it is good to discuss the relative merits of each system. I was put off the race jobby for the way they blocked the side. I was put off the scissor type lifts with the weight. Nearly1/2 ton and also some restricted access.

Mike :)
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:47 am

Mark, I was wondering why you have it turned 90 degrees from how it is shown to lift on their website?

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Greg,

It was because the slider plate/pads would have just been under the sills as the main structure runs length ways to the car normally. The way I have it allows you to slide the pads from side to side across the car and get in position under the chassis parts. Go back on their site and there is one little elan with it like I have done but they have stopped more inboard just under the chass and have a bit of a bend in the middle. It is also an earlier design.
I have timber under spreading/sharing the weight from the chassis with under the sills thus preventing sagging in the middle as per the USA Elan photo.

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Update. I finally got back on this. Bought a 1050 Watt drill from B & Q. Forward and reverse and 2 speed. Only ?34. It does the job nicely.
Changed one of my "A" frames and fitted new diff tie rod bushes. Dropped diff' and engine oil etc. Lubed trunnions, TTR drive shafts and had a good whizz around underneath with spanners and WD 40. What a pleasure even working on my back on the creeper. I think the main difference versus blocking up for us guys with glasses is that things are just at the right arm length (plenty of purchase) and also vision focus point (not too close). You are not steaming up your glasses or have kit right infront of your nose. You can also adjust the height to some degree to suit what you are doing. You can just roll onto the creeper and drag yourself about underneath. I am pleased, little Elan next when the snow and ice go and I can get the Plus 2 out the way.

Hope you all had a good Xmas.

Mike :D
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear