Alloy wheels-Minilite or alternatives

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:21 pm

I am linterested in some alloy wheels for my +2 and I see that Minilite as a manufacturer of alloy wheels in the uk appear to no longer exist?
A couple of years ago they were manufacturing Minilites in Telford UK but no longer it seems.
Lots of people advertising what I think are chinese Minilte copies for other makes but I am only interested in genuine Minilites.
Does anyone have any further information or suggestions maybe for alternative alloys?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TWebb » Fri Aug 23, 2024 4:42 pm

Check out Panasport. I've been very happy with their product.

www.panasport.com
TWebb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:37 pm

TWebb wrote:Check out Panasport. I've been very happy with their product.

http://www.panasport.com

Hi,
Hadn't thought about Panasport. Unsure if they are available in 5.5J width for a +2 here in the UK though.
I will investigate...Thanks for the idea.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:45 pm

https://hamiltonclassic.co.uk/collectio ... ite-wheels
Looks like Hamilton Classics are now either the sole distributor for Minilite, or indeed have bought them out ?
Worth a call.....
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:18 pm

Hi

Minilites look great on +2's. And Europas. Just make sure you get the offset correct.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:51 am

They look good on my Sprint toooo
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:01 pm

Yes I am sure Minilites are what I want but where to get them from and what offset is the question.
For a +2 I think I need 14''x6J's with a 110mm offset but uncertain of this also if I will need to convert to a 2.25'' rear spring setup in order to accomodate that size? Then there is what size/make of tyre to use with that size wheel to keep as close to original diameter as possible?
13''x5.5J alloys as original size will need a slice off the wishbones I understand which I don't want to do.

The main issue though is that genuine Minilites don't appear to be manufactured in the UK anymore?...Can anyone confirm this. I do not want to buy what I think is now being sold as a 'Minilite' which is made in China.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:29 pm

alanr wrote:
TWebb wrote:Check out Panasport. I've been very happy with their product.

http://www.panasport.com

Hi,
Hadn't thought about Panasport. Unsure if they are available in 5.5J width for a +2 here in the UK though.
I will investigate...Thanks for the idea.

Alan.

The Panasport centerlock wheels are 5.0J width. More information about the spec for these wheels here - https://gglotus.org/ggtech/elan-panasport/elanwhls.htm

Kiyoshi
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Aug 24, 2024 3:39 pm

Thanks for that article..
Yes 5J is not wide enough for a +2.
As original spec the +2 has 5.5J wheels which I don't think Panasport do. Well if they do they aren't available in the UK.
I have 13x5.5 steel wheels presently but 13x5.5 alloys are thicker on the rim edge so will not clear the wishbone without some grinding of the wishbone and bolthead.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:41 pm

Use the same off set as the Lotus Alloys for +2. 51/2 J
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:03 pm

alan.barker wrote:Use the same off set as the Lotus Alloys for +2. 51/2 J
Alan

Hi Alan,
Are you suggesting to use the same offset on a 14inch rim as on a 13inch rim? I am not sure how that will work out? It may do. I just don't know and before I part with my cash i need to be absolutely sure.
Do you happen to know what the offset is for the +2 13inch original spec alloy wheel? It can't be the same as a 5.5J 13inch steel wheel otherwise they would have rubbed on the wishbone as original spec. Unless of course the original spec alloy rim was very thin like a steel wheel however I suspect not.
The problem is I don't have a 13inch 5.5J alloy to measure or look at unfortunately, I only have a steel one.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:18 pm

I don't know anything about the 14" wheels.
For the 13" wheels i sold my 1973 +2S130 which had Lotus alloy wheels several years ago.
I imagine someone here can take a quick measure of their spare Lotus alloy wheel.
Here in France for the MOT the car won't pass with different size Wheels than original.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:59 pm

alanr wrote:Yes I am sure Minilites are what I want but where to get them from and what offset is the question.
For a +2 I think I need 14''x6J's with a 110mm offset but uncertain of this also if I will need to convert to a 2.25'' rear spring setup in order to accomodate that size? Then there is what size/make of tyre to use with that size wheel to keep as close to original diameter as possible?
13''x5.5J alloys as original size will need a slice off the wishbones I understand which I don't want to do.

The main issue though is that genuine Minilites don't appear to be manufactured in the UK anymore?...Can anyone confirm this. I do not want to buy what I think is now being sold as a 'Minilite' which is made in China.

Alan.

Did you speak to Hamilton Classic and ask them where the Minilites that they are selling are made ?
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:54 pm

elans3 wrote:
alanr wrote:Yes I am sure Minilites are what I want but where to get them from and what offset is the question.

Alan.

Did you speak to Hamilton Classic and ask them where the Minilites that they are selling are made ?

Not yet, not open today..A job for Tuesday, UK Bank holiday on Monday.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:11 pm

Well having done some digging around the internet....It seems there is no such thing as a genuine Minilite wheel anymore and hasn't been for some years now!

Minillite it is now just a name for style or a type or pattern of wheel made by anyone. So what one retail supplier sells as a Minilite wheel is not necessarily the same as a Minilite wheel sold by another retail supply company.
It seems anyone can now make an aftermarket alloy wheel of whatever quality for a car and call it a Minilite!
All not very reassuring to guarantee any level of standard product quality.
Tech Del I thought made the original' Minilite' wheel but not so it seems and I suspect they don't make them anymore anyway.
The name 'Minilite' was challenged in court some years ago it seems, have a read of this doc below.:-

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/t-challenge-deci ... o23298.pdf

Quite where this now leaves me in my quest to buy some alloy wheels for my +2 I am not sure yet.

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: