Tyres...

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:01 am

Hi chaps,
Some advice required please on the new Pirelli Cinturato offered by Longtone Tyres.

I fitted my car with XAS tyres circa 2012, and yes I know they are old but are "perfect in apperance and covered only 3000 ish miles". My dilema now is do I replace them along with all the other bits needed with new XAS at a hefty cost or go for the Pirelli Cinturato CA67 at just over half the price.

I know for a fact that the XAS got rid of all my stability issues at speed back in 2012 but I have no experience of the Pirelli tyre. So it's not an out an out financial decision but one about a good tyre that looks period and above all drives well.

thanks
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:35 pm

I just mounted a set of the Pirelli 155/80 H rated on one of my elans - no significant mileage yet but that will be fixed in a couple of weeks as I’m planning on a 500 mile trip. So if your not in a hurry I can report back ..

PS - got them from longstone - excellent service ..
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jonnyg » Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:48 pm

I was faced with a similar dilemma last year - XASs on the car when I bought it, but getting old though still legal in terms of tread, and the rubber hard. (And I know what everyone says about the tread pattern, but I always thought the asymmetric tread pattern looked a bit odd). After much deliberation I switched to the Cinturatos and haven’t been disappointed - the ride is smoother and quieter, and the handling is excellent (and the tyres just look period right). And half the price too! New tyres will always make a big difference over 10 year old tyres, but I’m very happy having made the switch.
Jonathan Greenwood
Wimborne, Dorset
jonnyg
New-tral

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:29 pm

cabc26b wrote:I just mounted a set of the Pirelli 155/80 H rated on one of my elans - no significant mileage yet but that will be fixed in a couple of weeks as I’m planning on a 500 mile trip. So if your not in a hurry I can report back ..

PS - got them from longstone - excellent service ..

In n rush as the servo is/will be away for an overhaul,.

Many thanks
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:31 pm

jonnyg wrote:I was faced with a similar dilemma last year - XASs on the car when I bought it, but getting old though still legal in terms of tread, and the rubber hard. (And I know what everyone says about the tread pattern, but I always thought the asymmetric tread pattern looked a bit odd). After much deliberation I switched to the Cinturatos and haven’t been disappointed - the ride is smoother and quieter, and the handling is excellent (and the tyres just look period right). And half the price too! New tyres will always make a big difference over 10 year old tyres, but I’m very happy having made the switch.

Thanks, appreciated.

Are the side walls steel or ply ? It was interesting as the guy from Longstone in a post somewhere said XAS for motorway, Pirelli for B roads.

Cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonnyg » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:16 pm

Mark, that might be true, but I can’t comment. The Michelins are apparently made of a ‘stickier’ compound, for what that’s worth, but unless you’re really pushing the boundaries as far as your driving style is concerned, I doubt most of us would be able to tell the difference between the Michelins and the Pirellis in normal day to day driving conditions. As I said, new tyres will always make a difference over old tyres that have hardened over time, and I’ve been very happy with the Cinturatos; the price was affordable, their appearance is authentically period, and for the sort of driving I do around the backroads of Dorset within my own capabilities and those of the car, they’re great: good grip, smooth ride, predictable handling.
Jonathan Greenwood
Wimborne, Dorset
jonnyg
New-tral

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:06 pm

I had the Cinturatos on my Elan when I first owned it. They are one of the best choices for an Elan. My experiences were similar to Jonnyg.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:57 am

Ran them for 3 days , combination of back roads , state routes through the mountains and some interstate. Haven’t observed any vices after 750 miles . They felt more up on their toes than the khumos that were on before (that’s not a complaint ) I will probably play around with tire pressures to see what happens.
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am

cabc26b wrote:Ran them for 3 days , combination of back roads , state routes through the mountains and some interstate. Haven’t observed any vices after 750 miles . They felt more up on their toes than the khumos that were on before (that’s not a complaint ) I will probably play around with tire pressures to see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jonnyg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 pm

Ah, tyre pressures (again)! I’ve seen all the previous threads where this has come up before. When Vintage Tyres in Beaulieu fitted the new Cinturatos on my S4 last summer they set the pressures at 26psi front and rear. Having previously tried a few different settings on my old XASs (to no great effect as far as I could tell) I have stuck with 26psi all round on these new tyres and find the ride and handling and balance perfectly fine. And I know, you’ll tell me I’m just not trying hard enough, but I can live with that - I’m spending all my time dodging the ever increasing number of potholes on the UK’s rapidly deteriorating roads!
Jonathan Greenwood
Wimborne, Dorset
jonnyg
New-tral

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:46 pm

The original recommended pressures were 19/21. I found that a comfortable ride, but the tires wanted to fall over on the sidewalls when pushed. I finally settled on 21/23 psig for road use.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: