Geo, body on or off?

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:08 am

Hi Guys

I have my plus 2 body suspended above a fully (just about) built up Spyder Zetec chassis. It has the usual adjustable spring perches, but also adjustable rear A frames and the front arms are fully adjustable.

At some point I will need to do a full geo on the car.

I was thinking that it might be best to do this with the body off the car as it will be much easier for measurements and access. My plan would be to disconnect the springs, level the chassis up, get the lower F&R suspension arms horizontal and go from there.

Or am I missing something and I should have the body on? One possible risk is that when the body is on I may want the suspension arms something other than horizontal.

Does anyone have an ideal road set up for toe front and rear and also camber?

Thoughts please?

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:28 am

Weighted, as to how you intend to operate the lady
150lbin drivers side, 50 in rear passenger?

Suspect it does need sprung & unsprung?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:26 am

Hi There

My thinking is that if the suspension arms are parallel with the body off then it does not matter because when body, lady petrol and driver are on/in I will just adjust the perches till the arms are parallel again while corner weighing.

Tks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:53 pm

Berni

While the body is off, worth having a chat with Spyder and checking the steering rack packer dimensions. The rack height affects bump steer and they use a simple device to check and work out whether any rack packers are needed and if so how thick.

If nothing has changed since the car was last together, then this is just a double check but it is much easier with the body off.

Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 pm

Hi

Good point about the bump steer!

Thank you

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: