Front trunnion

PostPost by: George S L » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:22 am

Hi Guy's just started rebuilding front suspension and can't find any info on the trunnions i.e how tight should they be. Have replaced the bushes and dust caps,don't want to refit the caliper plate and dust shield if I haven't got the trunnion set up correctly .

Thanks
George
George
Elan+2
Mk2 Mx5
George S L
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:28 pm

I have the same concern. Does one fully tighten the trunnion, and then back off a half-turn so that it faces immediately inboard (doesn't necessarily allow a full 180 degree swing with the caliper plate installed, but that degree of swing may not be required.) Or does one fully tighten the trunnion, and then back off one and one half turns, which allows a full 180 degree swing with the caliper plate installed?

Also, when I attended a lecture by author Brian Buckland in 2012, he stated that, in his opinion, the best grease for the trunnions is constant velocity joint grease. (I know the choice of lubrication for the trunnion is a perpetual topic of discussion.)

Gary
Miami, Florida
'71 Sprint FHC
Last edited by archigator on Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:10 pm

Rule of thumb, engage as much thread as possible, just ensure that when trunnion moves up it can fully rotate without binding at full lock.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: George S L » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:35 pm

Thanks guys i'm using landrover swivel grease in the trunnion
George
George
Elan+2
Mk2 Mx5
George S L
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:11 am

George S L wrote:Thanks guys i'm using landrover swivel grease in the trunnion
George

George,

I am far from being an expert on the merits of different forms of lubrication, but Landrover swivels are roller bearings, and the trunnion on the Elan is a brass/steel sliding fit.

I am surprised that the same sort of lubrication would suit both types of bearing?

The discussion has gone back and forth over this on the forum over the years, I had understood that using gear oil was the generally accepted form of lubrication for the trunnions.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: George S L » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:25 am

Don't want to be the cause of starting a discussion , but years back (on advice from an old and respected mechanic)
I used C V joint grease in the trunnions on a spitfire , never had any problems.
George
George
Elan+2
Mk2 Mx5
George S L
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:05 pm

I generally count the number of turns and check it's the same as the other side!
I then back off enough so that they are equal and with the trunnion facing the correct way check both will turn freely 90 degrees each way.
I used to use Castrol multipurpose grease but now use Micro ZX1
https://www.team-zx1.com/micro-%c2%b5-z ... rease.html
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: