IR Thermometer for Tracking Check

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:10 am

I had some success today (I think) in checking the tracking after fitting new uprights to the front suspension.
I used the laser on my IR thermometer. I operated the thermometer while aiming along the front wheel, to get part of the laser spot showing on both sides of the front tyre, and also on the outside edge of the back tyre.
It was easier than I expected, and the laser spot is only about a mm across at 10 feet.
From old posts I believe this corresponds to 4-5mm of toe-in if the rear suspension is undistorted.
This is no substitute for a proper measurement of course, but for an initial setting it might be better than the string method.

Cheers,

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:09 pm

Hi

The string method if done properly is really quite accurate. It's a bit of a faff though. Trakrite's are not bad either actually.

Best of luck

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:56 am

I've often wondered about the accuracy of devices clamped to steel wheels where the wheel can easily be bent out of true. Tyres can also have bulges and unevenness, did you check the tyres for runout before measuring?
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:43 am

Seems reasonable to at least get the 4 wheels pointing in the right direction enough to get to the MOT station or wherever the set up can be done properly. I wouldn't run it for too far unless done accurately.
It takes me about 10 minutes to set the string up
These are great:
https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/set-up-equi ... cking-bars
https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/set-up-equi ... -carry-bag
on axle stands front and rear.
I bought 2 rods only, I can't see that option presently
Fishing line is fine, but in for a penny:
https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/set-up-equi ... reels-pair
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:42 pm

Yes, lumps and bumps and runout irregularities will affect the result. Repeating the measurement in several locations on the wheel will help, of course. This would apply to using a laser or with string.

My tracking was out with too much toe-in. After the correction I have noticed an improvement in wheel imbalance sensitivity, so that's a bonus!

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: