Rear brakes

PostPost by: alfadave » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks for all replies.
I've ordered a pair of springs from Kelvedon.
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:07 pm

englishmaninwales wrote:Does fitting the extra spring remove the irritating rattle from the handbrake mechanism on an uneven road surface?

No, but it reduces it.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:47 am

Not sure, that symptom seems more likely to be due to those centralising strips. I expect that failing to bend them outwards on changing the pads would lead to loose pads & hence rattles.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:52 pm

To add to the excellent parts diagram already posted, I don’t see the bushings that IIRC are used to centralize the lever and Clevis pins (15 & 11 respectively) within the holes in the clamping levers (parts 6 & 7). Think I have that right, but not 100% sure. At any rate I don’t see the bushings in the parts diagram or listings. Photo below shows the bushings on the SJ site. I fashioned something suitable by filing down some hex nuts.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50849

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50311

And this thread where Jeff at JAE explains this little rascal and the problems if it is lost or missing …

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25716&start=15
Attachments
BF31A5AD-F6C6-4DC2-BFBE-548EA7ACF680.png and
SJ Sportscars handbrake bush. Apparently does not come up searching on handbrake but does come up searching on bush. This just from previous threads.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Boomer100E » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:32 am

As well as the good advice that has already been offered regarding reforming the handbrake centralising strips, I would add my experience that introducing a slight twist to these strips can solve the problem where the gap between pad and disc is not parallel.
Once this gap is parallel (and equal for inner & outer), it is possible to set the pads very close to the disc without any binding. So doing will greatly diminish wear on these pads, ensuring that your handbrake remains effective over long periods without the need for regular adjustment to compensate for unnecessary wear.
Assuming that you only apply the handbrake when the car is already stationary, there really oughtn’t to be much wear occurring on these small pads!
Cheers, Doug
Boomer100E
New-tral

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:20 pm

Doug’s comment above reminds me of the reason that I could not get my hand brake to work correctly. Items 6 and 7 (in the drawing reproduced by Bill) have two curved surfaces that bare onto the hand brake pads. These items were replaced by Classicar Automotive but had not been finished correctly with the result being that the pads were not parallel to the disc, as the curvatures were all different. Using an original item lent to me by Aussie John I made a template and filed items 6&7 so that all curvatures were the same then had the items replated. As Doug says the pads are now parallel with the disc, and only applied when the car is stationary.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:19 am

The various parts diagrams that I show, come from the WIKI on this website itself.

I know it isn't "finished" but that part seems to work OK.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: