damper inserts

PostPost by: street » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:45 pm

I have my original 30 year dampers say done 7.5k and a set of Koni classic i picked up, that have done 10k or so (dont know age).

Question; If there are no obvious signs of leaks etc, how do you test a damper when it out of the tube.

All of them require some tugging to pull up, but drop down with very little effort, one will drop by itself for 2 inches before stopping.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:08 am

Let's start off by admitting that I don't know the answer to your question but here's an observation from when I had standard dampers on my car.

The car wasn't a daily driver and so when I did I noticed that it was easy to compress the rear springs and you'd get the impression the dampers weren't working. But after a few cycles everything firmed up and the car drove as I would expect it to.

Also I don't know if the bound/rebound resistances are equal on the OEM dampers, I know you can have differing ratios on some adjustable dampers so I wouldn't immediately class them as a fail if the bound/rebound aren't identical. (curious - anyone else know ?)

So my take would be that if the dampers increased resistance after a few cycles then they'd be ok. Certainly when I've had dampers fail there's been no resistance at all and it's been very obvious, even to me.

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:55 am

were they stored horizontally prior to manual checking ? it could be that part of the oil would have been replaced by air... as for actual specs verification some shock retailers/installers would have a testing machine, which also would help setting them to the same damping level (I would say for about 25 a piece).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: