Slight Movement of the front wheels. 12 o'clock 6 oclock

PostPost by: loueelotus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:41 am

Hi. Quick question, Elan S2 65.. Can there very slight movement (hand rocking) the front wheels on the 12 o'clock 6 o'clock position?
The the cars steering and suspension all rebuild recently about 2 years (all tight) and bearing adjusted about 5 years ago..
Thanks..
Lou
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:10 am

I would adjust the front bearings to specification and then observe for movement in the bottom trunnion or top ball joint. There is normally a very small movement that can just be felt with bearings adjusted correctly and good trunnions and top ball joint with no visible movement in the joints. All the movement you can just feel is in the wheel bearing

regards
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:25 pm

Thanks Rohan, Tightened it up a little and all is well.. one is a little tighter than the other but I figure it will settle after driving it..
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:20 pm

Be careful when “tightening” wheel bearings to remove play. Often there is wear on the stub axle and inner race of the outer (small) bearing where it has rotated on the stub axle. This wear feels like the bearing adjusting nut just needs tightening a little more to remove the play but, you are actually over tightening the bearings so they don’t move about on the worn parts!
If the play is traced to the bearing but only top and bottom I would pull it apart and have a look at the stubs?
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: