TTR Fornt 'Comfort' shock ride height adjustment

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:13 pm

Has anybody else fitted the TTR 'Comfort' shocks to the front of a road-going Elan 2 seater? The accompanying sheet describes adjusting the spring seat perch to give the correct height for the road. I tried 4 turns and the car is on the floor! If anybody has adjusted these recently to give close to standard road height could you let me know how many turns are needed? It will save a lot of jacking the car up and down to see what effect another turn makes, although given what 4 turns does I'm guessing 10 or 15 maybe more!

Ta very much...Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:28 pm

Will send you photos in the morning and yes, it's a lot more than four turns
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:36 pm

I thought it must be Rob. The S3 I'm fitting them on is nose to nose with the S4 which has a ride height way too tall, and the S3 bumper is about 7 inches higher than the S3!
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mileso » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:23 pm

How did you get on with this - get the right height?

Considering doing same as my S4 sits about 30mm too high as measured against workshop guide and non level wishbones!
Mileso
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:10 pm

All sorted now. The TTR adjustable shocks surprised me at just how low the car would go, and how soft the suspension could be. I fitted them on my S3, which was on bog standard shocks, in perfect condition giving the right ride height, I wanted to change them as I'm refurbishing everything on the car, and wanted everything to be the right / same specification. With 9 turns on the spring adjuster and 1 click on the damper adjuster, it looks right and feels right (pushing the front of the car up and down).

My S4 was always too high, also by about 3 or 4 cms. I put the standard shocks off the S3 on to it just to prove to myself that it was the shocks on the S4 that were wrong, and nothing horrible with the chassis or body mounting. They dropped it down the required amount, so that's now fine as well. I can only think that the S4 had the wrong springs fitted, although the shocks looked identical to the standard ones I put on. It was rock-hard with no give in the front end.

Do check that somebody hasn't tightened the wishbones up with the wheels in the air, or over-tightened them before buying new shocks!

This photo shows the S4 and S3 nose to nose before I adjusted the S3 shocks. The S3 is about 1.5 cms too low, and the S4 4 cms too high!

Attachments
Z3.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mileso » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:18 pm

Thanks - good to know you can get the TTR comfort set up so something other than rock hard as some have suggested.
I think I will go that route as, not only am I 30mm too high, but also front suspension barely moves when pushed/sat on so can't imagine TTR set up would be harsher!
Mileso
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: