Sunday Spa-Francorchamps

PostPost by: hansaxl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:31 am

Hi folks,

spent a very nice track day at Spa yesterday. The Elan held up his head very nicely among all those 500 HP monsters, I even managed to overtake one Porsche, although that one was in the cooling lap, so actually that does not count...

Guess what happened at the end, look at the photo... The left-hand front wheel has had it..
DSC02304.JPG and

Now my question: Is there is anybody out there who has already had some experience with the new steel wheels that have become available from the usual suspects?

The car is a 1970 S4/Sprint, and there are still three wheels intact. Any recommendations are very welcome.

Cheers, Hans
'70 S4/Sprint
hansaxl
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:14 am

I've had eight steel wheels from Sue Miller. They are slightly heavier than the originals. They run straight and true.

Image wheels make a more expensive alternative with options -

https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/elan-billet-alloy-wheel/
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hansaxl » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 am

Hi Mazzini,

thanks for the note. I can't get through to Sue Miller, do you know how much she charges for a wheel? Kelvedon charge 250 ex VAT.

I have octagonal spinners. I suppose this does not cause cause any complications, right?

Next, the Image wheels are available in 5" minimum width, as opposed to 4.5" original. Recommendations/comments by anyone?

Cheers, thanks, H.
'70 S4/Sprint
hansaxl
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:17 am

Must have said a prayer or 2 recently !!!!! You're one lucky man.

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:21 am

I could never understand why Colin had the point of the cutaway triangle line up with the peg drive hole. It seems like a dumb choice from a cracking perspective when the peg drive holes could have been aligned with the metal between the cutaway area.

Sue's wheels are good, (I bought 5 when she had them in stock), but they also have the peg drive holes line up with the cutaway. To be fair, I guess that does make them match the original. I believe all of the other usual suspects who advertise the wheels obtain theirs from Sue.

There was an Australian supplier who supplied wheels where the peg drive holes offset to align with the metal between the cutaway, but that was some time ago, and I was unable to obtain any.

An apocryphal tale is that the original design of Elan wheel was even thinner than finally supplied, but Rubery Owen refused to make a wheel so thin as they considered it dangerous.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:51 am

Steve Taylor from Lotus Marques was the guy in Australia that had a run of wheels made. He manufactures some really good stuff - no association, just a happy customer.

If I ever buy another set of wheels, I'd probably try the Image offering, not because there is anything wrong with Sue's, but I'm just interested to see them.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:30 am

Lotus had a cheapskate fix for this problem, caused by Ron Hickman having only 2 hours to design the wheel cutouts.
D62497AB-4117-4278-B1F8-0BC2733610F3.jpeg and
Info taken from the excellent Robinshaw and Ross book - get one if you don’t have already.
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hansaxl » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:55 am

I do have the Buckland book and all, but I was not aware that the Robinshaw&Ross book contains such special information. I am impressed! Is there any way to purchase the book via a forum member?

My neighbour is into welding (I am not..), so I will consult him.

What I did now, hardly having spent money on the car this (that does happen, though not regularly), I bit the bullet and asked Kelvedon for a full set of 4 wheels. The remaining four original ones will be stuffed away. One of them had cracks for the past years and was only used in emergency. This will be welded. The one shown on the photo is gone, though.

Thumbs up! Cheers, H.
'70 S4/Sprint
hansaxl
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:17 am

Lots of Robinshaw & Ross books on UK EBay.
The later green version which includes the Plus 2 is best (and the most expensive!). It includes much fascinating information from Ron Hickman, and his diary notes and observations.
Try this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTHENTIC-LO ... 635-2958-0
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hansaxl » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:27 pm

Thanks! Will look into that asap.

Cheers, H.
'70 S4/Sprint
hansaxl
Second Gear
Second Gear