Elan / +2 geometry V Triumph

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:00 pm

I have been asked how a Triumph Spit. front geometry compares to an Elan. And, frankly, I don't really know!

Am I correct in thinking the standard Triumph front wishbones are longer than the Elan but shorter than the +2?
Extra track of the +2 is a bit wider chassis (?) plus extended wishbones arms?

The inner wishbone pivot offset?
My manual gives the +2 as 2.96" (75.2 mm) Section A page2 bottom right image. Is that the same for the Elan.

Trumpet camber is 2 / castor is 4 compared with 0>2 and 3. Not wildly different.

Reason for this is a chap is intending to install a Spit. front end in a Rochdale Phase 2 and I suggested he check out an Elan whilst he was at it. Hence lumbering myself!

Cheers
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:21 am

Major difference in spitfire geometry is that lower control arm is significantly longer. Upper is similar between spit and baby elan. Plus two lowers probably similar in length to spit lowers, plus two uppers longer than spit or baby elan uppers. What I can say is that they all will generate different camber curves.
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:22 am

Major difference in spitfire geometry to baby elan is that lower control arm is significantly longer. Upper is similar between spit and baby elan. Plus two lowers probably similar in length to spit lowers, plus two uppers longer than spit or baby elan uppers. What I can say is that they all will generate different camber curves.
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:57 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have Spitfire (viteese / gt6 etc) arms as 7.75 and 10.13 (giving a ratio of 76.5%)
Elan as 5.75 / 9 +2 8.07 / 12.34 both giving a ratio of 65%

What I'm trying to discover is where the Spit chassis pivot points are. A and B

1489 Feb. 26 09.07.jpg and

(Asking on a Triumph forum might be a good idea!)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billmack » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:32 pm

I will poke through manuals and see if I can find something
Billmack
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:12 pm

Billmack wrote:I will poke through manuals and see if I can find something

Thanks. I found an online manuals site that gave me most of what I want. Unfortunately the GT6 manul refused but I don't think there is any difference.

http://vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals

Surprisingly, to me at least, there is not much that is the same apart from the upright.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: