Elan +2 tyres

PostPost by: pimkeirle » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of cheap tyres for my +2S 130. I don't do track days and usually the tyres get changed on age rather than mileage, so I'm looking for something towards the budget end of the market. I've been offered Khumo Solus KH17, which get quite good reviews, or Marshall MA1 (no reviews available) both just under £50 a corner. I'm told the Marshall's are made at the same factory as the Khumos and have identical tread pattern, so I suspect they are the same tyre. If anyone has any experience of either of these,o r can recommend anything else, then I would be very interested to read your thoughts. Another option would be Maxxis MA1, which cost about 50% more.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
pimkeirle
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:02 pm

I would say that buying a cheap (and bad) tyre for a classic car is nonsense, the savings do not compensate the anger (and problems) after a slip if it leads to damage or injuries.
That referes especially to greatly advertised, non-sticky tyres which come from brands with great marketing, but no technical departments. They do look-a-likes.

That said, I bought these: Falken Sincera SN832 Ecorun
Very satisfied, and quite cheap. Japanese, BTW
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:09 pm

+1 to Japanese, EU, or American made. Though I am not so sure that is the ultimate. A large well known company might be at the top of the list, followed by warranty reviews.
If your wanting something good and a good price. The
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk
For the +2 are excellent and shipping is included (I like the rally tread blocks!).
My second choice would be for a square shoulder winter tyre. Because winter is softer/stickier compound, plus you get an excellent wet tyre.
Don’t forget, winter tyres are for cooler temperatures such as in the morning.
Last edited by h20hamelan on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:48 pm

A mate of mine who does Honda conversions on the Elise swears by Khumo has tried all sorts on Elise. Does not mean they will suit the +2 of course but has already been said don't fit ditch finders get something decent
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:33 am

I also recommend longstonetyre in England for Plus 2 tires. I have tried tires in all sizes from 165 to 195 on the car and believe the OE165x80x13 size provides the best steering sensitivity as well as plenty of grip in both dry and wet conditions and have that vintage look. They'll be more expensive than other sizes but, to me, worth the cost. Longstone delivered a set of tires to my tire shop in California in less than a week from time of order.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:44 am

pimkeirle
Can I politely suggest you pour yourself a coffee, open the biscuits and have a read of the 12pages here:-
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=42154

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Steve Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:47 am

Hi Mike,it might be worth you looking at The Blockley tyre company,they do a 165 HR 13.A cheaper option than Longstones.Steve
72 Elan +2S 130/5
Put in the garage after a mot pass in 2012,trying to make it back out.(Almost there)
Steve Brooks
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:01 am

I had Kumho Solus tyres on my Plus 2. Great in the dry, lousy in the wet.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 am

Blockleys are I think certainly worth a look but I have yet to come across anyone who has actually fitted them to a +2 to give an opinion.
Anyone?

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:06 pm

If you are in the UK try MyTyres. They have a good selection of 165 x 13 and 185/70 x 13 which we have used both sizes on our +2. Cheers.
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 pm

The problem with fitting 70 series tyres instead of 80 series is the smaller overall tyre diameter which will therefore lower the overall gearing of the car which can be undesirable especially on the 4speed models.
The original fitment on a +2 is 165/80/13 with a 600 mm fitted tyre diameter. The Michelin XAS has this and the Dunlop SP Aquajet comes in at just under at 596mm fitted tyre diameter but there is not much in the 'cheaper' modern tyres that does.
There isn't now much choice without compromising on things it seems.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:06 pm

As most if not all tyres are built for 3000 lb+ cars, I highly doubt anything works properly, and the Michelin XAS will be hard compound and not meant for the cool (below 15). Based on the 3000lb argument, I have gone with Toyo winters for touring. Dunlop and Kumho were options here in N America. Then I have alloy rims for sport summer tyres.

How much cheaper are the Blockey’s, they look about the same as the Longstonetyre after shippping etc.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi

Here is what we suggest for Elans

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... /elan.html

The good news is that towards the end of this year i will be getting a Pirelli Cinturato CN36 which will be fantastic on and Elan +2. I am hoping to keep the price down as well, but that is tricky on quality manufacturers making small batch tyres. I will be happy if i can keep it bellow a £onner

These cars will handle better fitted with proper Classic tyres rather than a tyre that just happens to be the right size.

Currently i think the only classic tyres in the 165R13 size are the Dunlop and Michelin XAS. Sadly the Dunlop are no longer actually manufactured by Dunlop themselves, they are made else where under lisence. The Michelin however is made by Michelin, and for now i have no doubt in suggesting that these are the best tyres for an Elan. I had them on a ZeTech engined Cortina that i raced they were epic. But when the CN36 is made then the XAS will have some competition.

Reifen test AB Klassik table.jpg and
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:00 pm

Doug hi,
Thanks for the thoughts and information.
That is really interesting news on the Pirelli CN36 especially if the price point is good. I certainly would be up for a set of those if the price comes out like you hope. Please keep us updated on this!

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:49 pm

"But when the CN36 is made then the XAS will have some competition." Based on the table I would say that the XAS already has some competition from the Vredestiens. And price wise there isn't any competition from the XAS when including the required tubes. Unfortunately they aren't currently available. Perhaps someone could prompt them to start producing these again.
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: