First time rebuilder - struggling with steering rack

PostPost by: Jem » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi,
I'm rebuilding my 71 Sprint DHC - RHD. progressing well, but when I come to loose fitting the rack, I have an issue: (rack is a new unit as are track rod ends)

Fitting the rack and winding both track rod ends on as far as possible, the wheels are very toe-out and I cannot get them straight, let alone toe-in.
IMG_0171.jpg and

IMG_0173.jpg and

If I put the left wheel straight ahead, the right wheel points off at a big angle
IMG_0174.jpg and

If I put the right wheel straight, the left side of the track rod is off by quite a distance
IMG_0172.jpg and

I must have done something stupid, but without the track rod ends winding on further or the steering rack being narrower (neither of which can happen), I'm not sure what is wrong.
Please can you advise?
Thanks
Jem
Jem
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:58 pm

Some of the current track rods advertised for Elans and Plus 2's are too long I've found.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:12 pm

Your new steering rack may be a standard Triumph unit which has not been modified to suit the Elan. The Elan version has track rods approx 3/4" shorter than the Triumph ones and should also have internal lock limiting spacers fitted.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:37 pm

Before you start sawing off the ends, check with whoever supplied it because its basically the wrong rack for your car. Possibly its for a Plus 2.

As oldelan said, the correct rack will have travel limiting spacers (hidden inside the rubber gaiters). Some replacement racks have the rack bar ball joints assembled by a swaging process so its not possible to retro fit them.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:29 pm

You may want to chase the ball joint threads with a tap. Just make sure it is the type with a smaller shank than threaded portion. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:41 am

Just checked a spare rack I have and it measures 100 cm overall excluding the track rod ends, if your new one is longer it's not correct for the Elan.
IMG_20201106_081755.jpg and

Also if you have the correct lock limiting spacers fitted in the rack you should have approx 2 and 3/8 turns of the pinion lock-to-lock.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:22 pm

I've had this a number of times in last few years, the track rod ends are to long.... in both cases I purchased the track rods from Lotus part suppliers, and had them for a while before trying to use them...!

I've also had a set with metric threads on the tapered ball, and a larger diameter taper, ironically these had the correct length as an old sample track rod end I've kept!!
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jem » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:44 pm

The rack has approx 2 and 1/4 turns lock to lock - so that seems the same.
the length seems broadly right as well.
IMG_0176.jpg and

to get the wheels straight with the rack in approximate centre, the track rods would need to wind on as shown (RHD car). Neither will get close to going on that far.
IMG_0177.jpg and

IMG_0176.jpg and

confused.
Attachments
IMG_0178.jpg and
Jem
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Jem » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:46 pm

vstibbard wrote:I've had this a number of times in last few years, the track rod ends are to long.... in both cases I purchased the track rods from Lotus part suppliers, and had them for a while before trying to use them...!

I've also had a set with metric threads on the tapered ball, and a larger diameter taper, ironically these had the correct length as an old sample track rod end I've kept!!

do you remember how long they should be?
Jem
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Hi Jem,

A bit off topic but Is it possible for you to measure the thickness of the upright mounting ear below? I'm creating a CAD model of the front suspension and this is one of the dimensions that is questionable.

Thanks,
thickness.JPG and
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:18 pm

Jem,
Not sure what measurement you show in your photo. Did you measure the overall length of the complete rack ? As I said it should be 1000 mm (1 metre) excluding the track rod ends ... yours looks too long.
My track rod ends are 70 mm long measured from centre of ball joint to the end .. how does that compare with yours?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jem » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:57 pm

oldelanman wrote:Jem,
Not sure what measurement you show in your photo. Did you measure the overall length of the complete rack ? As I said it should be 1000 mm (1 metre) excluding the track rod ends ... yours looks too long.
My track rod ends are 70 mm long measured from centre of ball joint to the end .. how does that compare with yours?

my rack is 1m long (ex the track rod ends)track rod ends are 70mm from centre to the end.
How far do you track rod ends wind on?
Jem
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Jem wrote:How far do you track rod ends wind on?

The locknuts are very near the end of the thread on the track rods so looking at the spare rack that gives around 35mm of thread engaged in the track rod end.
IMG_20201106_163251.jpg and
IMG_20201106_163653.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:58 pm

I'll measure it today and post details tonight.

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jem » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:06 pm

vstibbard wrote:I'll measure it today and post details tonight.

Cheers

Vaughan

thanks
Jem
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: