Will Michelin XAS 155 R13 fit an unmodified S3 SE?

PostPost by: TBG » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Colin - that is a bummer, but I loved my Yokohma A1s, also no longer available thus the Nokians.Perhaps the Yokos you mention will be good, I do hope so. Just had a run along the A303 some 14 miles to go shopping never under 100 and something on my sat speedo!! Car running so well with the 3:1 cwp!! :D :D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:38 pm

TBG wrote:Quart Meg - I have 165/70/13s on an unmodified S3 with no problems if that helps.

Thanks. The rear wheel arches are rather different on the 26s and I think I need to measure the gaps I have now and allow for at least 5 mm more to stand a chance.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:02 am

Quartmeg - I have just measured my clearance and it is about 8mm from the fatest bit of the tyre. The spring hanger needs whacking to get clearance inboard. Hope that this helps.
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi

Sorry i have a few major issues with these pictures.

The measurements are a bit funny. Uninflated measurements mean nothing. The measurements are the width of the tyre at its wideest point. not the tread. They are very slightly effected by rim width but not very much, but they must be inflated.

the way to measure it is; it has to be fully inflated! Lay the wheel and tyre on the floor then put a flat edge (plank of wood something that won't bend) accross the tyre (one side to the other) then measure to the floor.

The 155HR13 XAS is a tube type tyre which means yes it does need an inner tube.

You can also fit an inner tube in any 155R13 tyre. (but they won't be as good on '60s or '70s car as an XAS)

The XAS is going to knock your socks off. I have had them on a few cars they are great. i used to fit them to the front of my MK5 Cortina, which was a difficult enviroment for any tyre, because i had a 150bhp Zetech engine in it instead of the old Pinto and i used to weld the diff up and put crap tyres on the back. You could throw it into a corner, the front end never let me down with the XAS and the back end would come round and you could just play with it with it on the throtle pedal. It was a true hooligans car. but it was only so much fun because of the XAS on the front, that never washed out.

What you will feel with the XAS on the Elan is progressive handling because of those lovely rounded shoulder of a proper 1960s tyre that will flatter your chassis.

Just get them fitted and throw it at a corner as fast as you dare, you'll love it.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:43 pm

"Just get them fitted and throw it at a corner as fast as you dare, you'll love it."

Spoken like a true Frazer Nash hooligan, Dougal!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lightwait26 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Stevie-Heathie wrote:Here’s a photo of the same XAS 155R13 mounted you a standard S3 4 1/2” wheel and inflated to 30 psi.

Also a pic of the wheel on the car. Looks fantastic, fits (just - tight on the rear).

Still nowhere near 155mm but I’m okay with that.

Dougal, did you read the post that went with the photo?
art
lightwait26
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Dougal,

It's good to hear from you on this thread. I was beginning to worry!

If you read above, you will see reports from Steve and Simon about replacing Vredesteins with Michelin XAS on their '69 S4s. They both report an immediate improvement in handling, with progressive, predictable break-away and a shift from understeer to mild, controllable oversteer.

I have the same car with the same Vredestein 155HRx13 tires (they are the Sprint+, I believe - no longer available). I have experienced slight understeer and somewhat abrupt breakaway with my Vredesteins and would like to change that, as I hope and believe my Elan is capable of much more enjoyable handling. So I am on the verge of happily purchasing the XAS. However, I read your comments on another thread regarding the Pirelli CN36 and, I believe, the Cinturato, CA67, which have caused me to wonder whether I should be considering one of them.

Would you please comment on the respective handling of these three tires (XAS, CN36 and Cinturato) in the 155HRx13 size? To be clear, I am not as interested in achieving ultimate grip, as I am a predictable breakaway and, if possible, handling that tends toward gentle oversteer I can control with the throttle.

I thank you in advance!

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:21 pm

For what tis worth, my experiences with CN36 related to BMW 2002Tii I owned in UK in the early 80's, Ifitted the tyres shortly after buying the car and they transformed it, I lived in Petts Wood and regularly use to get it out to blast around in the wet and snow, it was easily balanced, turned in well and braking was retain wet, being tail happy, I loved how easy it was to balance it on the throttle.

I'm planning on fitting CN36's to one of the the current projects when finished.
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:34 am

jbeach wrote:
Would you please comment on the respective handling of these three tires (XAS, CN36 and Cinturato) in the 155HRx13 size? To be clear, I am not as interested in achieving ultimate grip, as I am a predictable breakaway and, if possible, handling that tends toward gentle oversteer I can control with the throttle.

I thank you in advance!

-John

I am fairly certain that the smallest CN36 produced is 175/70r-13, and the largest CA67 which applies to the Elan is 145-13. Pending further developments, of course.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:00 pm

Thanks, guys. Given this size information, my decision is made for me! XAS it is!!
Cheers,
-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: