Tires

PostPost by: Pete M » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Had the Elan over to the tire store yesterday looking for a set of new tires. The guy behind the counter told me they really don't make 13 inch tires anymore and suggested I try Coker Tire online. Coker lists a Michelin XAS, a Goodrich Silvertown, a Tornel and a Maxxis for the Lotus. Has anyone used one of these tires and been happy with the performance? I'm leaning toward the Michelin but wanted to hear from the forum if anyone had experience with it, or another brand here in the states.
Pete M
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:27 pm

I suggest you look at the many past posts on Tyres
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm going for Pirelli Cinturato
https://www.lucasclassictires.com/PIREL ... to_c54.htm

Also as you go thru the long list of tires for the Elan, pay attention if it's for an early Elan, or later model including the +2 The laters can handle a wider tire without much modification.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:07 pm

I know your in America but there is allot of choice in 2 seater standard sizes..... i'm actually toying with the idea of fitting original Dunlop Aquajets as they come in cheaper here in the uk than XAS (still not cheap though) i currently have Michelin E3B1 tires which fit fine but look a bit to modern (if you know what i mean) but then they came in one third of the price of a XAS.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres ... ameter-r13
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 pm

a modern tyre (good for 130 mph) but not a semi slick is the a539 yokohama. my s3 has 175 60 13 as imo many use tyres for 60 hp cars to save $$ or for rediculous puritan issues - i´d say mor than half of the tyres (plus age i read about!!!) used here are UNSAFE! my engine maybe has 150hp and needs GOOD tyres and no junk!! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pete M » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm

alan.barker wrote:I suggest you look at the many past posts on Tyres
Alan

Alan,

Thanks, but have you looked at the old posts lately, They're older than my tires, for the most part, and the info is no longer relevant.
Pete M
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Evante » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Sandy,

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but what pressure are you running in your Yoko's?

Jay S.
Jay S.
1972 Federal Sprint, Colorado Orange/White
2005 Elise, sold
1988 Evante 140TC, sold
Evante
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:23 pm

A little hard to make recommendation without knowing anything about your criteria. What do you use the car for, what do you care about in a tire, what kind of budget etc etc.

Assuming 155/80r13, in the end it boils down to:
1) very cheap modern tire (~$40 a corner) available from most chains
2) a better quality modern tire (~$60 a corner) available from most chains
3) A classic focused tire like XAS or CN36 (~$200 a corner), order online
4) A road legal race/track tire

If you do lots of miles or simply want the best it might be worth going for 3). If you do less miles the tire will likely age out and probably have best safety/tires by replacing them more often, so 2) is good option. 2) also has the useful thing of being able to get a replacement at short notice if you happen to have an issue while on a road trip.

If you like track days and to drive hard then maybe 4).

Its a lotus so don't go near 1) :D

Or you could post up a couple of tires you are looking at and ask for feedback on them.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:41 pm

I would not “assume 155.” I did that with a loveley set of XASs on original wheels on my S3 and one almost immediately ripped a couple inches off the lip of my right front fender. Heretofore almost perfect new paint job.

So now I have 145 Pirellis on the car and a stack of brand new XAS FFs I don’t need.

BTW. I’m in California and buy from Longstone Tyre in the UK; all-up cost about the same as Coker or Lucas.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mwhitaker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:47 am

Hi- I would say it is worth a look at Longstone Tyres Dougal Cawley's posts in the last 1-2 years on the tire section-very informative and helpful. He likes the Pirelli Cinturato in 145/80-13 for S3 and before and 155/80-13 Michelin XAS FF for the S4/Sprint. I have a set of the Michelins on my S4 Elan and I love them. Great ride/ feel- turn in-much nicer than the Kumhos that were on there. They look right too, especially with new steel wheels and knockoff spinners. They are expensive at around $200 a piece and require tubes-$13.00 . Also, even though they are listed as an 80 series tire, they are a bit taller-prob 82-85 series so watch out for your ride height /suspension settings to avoid rubbing/cracking your fenders.

Dougal favors stock tire sizes to preserve the steering feel we love which I totally agree with unless your suspension is radical or you are racing/autocrossing a fair amount-my comments are mainly for road cars.

Cheers, Mark Whitaker
69 ElanS4DHC
45/8396
mwhitaker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:49 am

Hi Pete,

Others will likely voice different views, but my firm opinion is this: you have one of the finest handling cars ever made. Why would you scrimp on the most important handling component? Based on what is available today, I would either go with the Pirelli CN36, or the MichelinXAS. 145 if you have an S1 through S3. 155 if you have an S4 or Sprint. Given the total value of your Elan, the cost differential between these superior products and the “value” alternatives is truly irrelevant. For me, there is no real debate.

Cheers!

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:06 am

awatkins wrote:I would not “assume 155.” I did that with a loveley set of XASs on original wheels on my S3 and one almost immediately ripped a couple inches off the lip of my right front fender. Heretofore almost perfect new paint job.

So now I have 145 Pirellis on the car and a stack of brand new XAS FFs I don’t need.

BTW. I’m in California and buy from Longstone Tyre in the UK; all-up cost about the same as Coker or Lucas.

Great point. The manual calls out 145/13 for the S3 and 155/13 for the S4.

As always, YMMV
Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:41 am

I'm running Michelin XAS FF 165 x 13 on my Plus 2 and am quite happy with them. I bought them from Longstone in England. Longstone had them delivered to my California tire shop in about four days from the day I ordered.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:13 am

pressure for these yokos: 2,3bar - and not 1,8 or less, you use for an 80 profile piece of junk sandy
elans don´t have to be a SOFT ride, as they´re famous for. a FIA 26r, is as stiff (almost) as a F3 car!! and needs to be
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:42 am

I had Aquajets on my Sprint and found the Steering too heavy.
Maybe XAS FF seem good looking at past posts.
I think it depends how you want to drive your car. Classic reproduced rubber or modern day rubber.
If modern day rubber you need to look at uprating Drive Shafts also
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: