Rack mounts and UJ advice please

PostPost by: HJF » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:02 pm

To go along with the rack thread I started earlier, I am thinking of refitting with a solid UJ and solid rack mounts rather than the original OEM rubber items. That was how our Caterham, that the Sprint has replaced, was set up and worked well.

Is this a good idea with an a Elan please or will it loose its classic character.

Harry
HJF
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi Harry,

personally I don't like the solid rack mounts having tried them on my Sprint, and have reverted to a set of new standard mounts with standard rubber inserts (SJ Sportscars supplied). I also like the standard UJ coupling.

I've had two Sprints and if the rack and all the steering joints are in good condition the standard setup is perfectly geared and excellent for feel and feedback. The solid mounts I felt just made the car feel a little nervous and did not improve the experience, it felt a little like fitting a smaller steering wheel - definitely not needed!

Regards
Iain
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:26 pm

There is also a middle ground of poly mounting bushes. I have these on mine and happy enough with them, good steering with out the downsides of solid mounts.

Which is right answer is likely very personal and effected by the rest of the steering setup/condition.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HJF » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Now I have successfully freed the stuck UJ, see my other thread, I am about to order a new UJ. So, minded now to fit a standard rubberised UJ in view of the comments above. How long do the standard UJs last and are they decent quality? Am aware a lot of car parts are cheaply made in the third world and that rubber components don’t seem to last as long as they did.
HJF
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:04 pm

I've had standard, poly, and solid rack mounts. All 3 at different times in my S1. Personally I prefer the feel of the solid mounts, especially when driving "spring finger" style. Certainly no downsides to them from my perspective, but preferences will vary.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:37 am

Hi I have solid mounts and the feel is very good. The reason I went for solid mounts was that when shimming the mounts to correct the bump steer I actually needed to take one side down a little and you can't do thus with the original type.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:49 am

HJF wrote:Now I have successfully freed the stuck UJ, see my other thread, I am about to order a new UJ. So, minded now to fit a standard rubberised UJ in view of the comments above. How long do the standard UJs last and are they decent quality? Am aware a lot of car parts are cheaply made in the third world and that rubber components don’t seem to last as long as they did.

I wonder if anyone has started making the rubber cone inserts in Poly ??

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:59 am

Hi John,
Have had poly cones fitted in the steering universal for years.

https://superpro.com.au/find/superpro-s ... -999500028

I have polyurethane bushing throughout my Elan. If you trawl through the Superpro site, looking under Lotus and Triumph, you can find all you need.

Cheers,
Colin.

te="john.p.clegg"]
HJF wrote:Now I have successfully freed the stuck UJ, see my other thread, I am about to order a new UJ. So, minded now to fit a standard rubberised UJ in view of the comments above. How long do the standard UJs last and are they decent quality? Am aware a lot of car parts are cheaply made in the third world and that rubber components don’t seem to last as long as they did.

I wonder if anyone has started making the rubber cone inserts in Poly ??

John ;-)[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 am

Nice one...

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:11 am

fatboyoz wrote:Hi John,
Have had poly cones fitted in the steering universal for years.

https://superpro.com.au/find/superpro-s ... -999500028

I have polyurethane bushing throughout my Elan. If you trawl through the Superpro site, looking under Lotus and Triumph, you can find all you need.

Cheers,
Colin.

Thanks for the reminder Colin. I have had Superpro bushings in my Elan for 30 years as Historic racing regs in Group Sb dont allow rose joints in the suspension and I noticed the D shape roll bar bushings I used for the bigger roll bar were looking the worse for wear when I pulled the engine recently. Time for a refresh, cant complain on their life. The bushings in the rest of the suspension are still perfect !

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:01 pm

HJF wrote:To go along with the rack thread I started earlier, I am thinking of refitting with a solid UJ and solid rack mounts rather than the original OEM rubber items. That was how our Caterham, that the Sprint has replaced, was set up and worked well.

Is this a good idea with an a Elan please or will it loose its classic character.

Harry

I fitted solid rack mounts and solid UJ to my Plus 2 many years ago. The steering is much sharper and I haven't notice any unpleasant side effects.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:21 am

Would you think, a combination. Of thicker, more rigid steel, and thinner rubber? Or poly
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: