Clutch Master and Slave cylinders

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi all,
Have not driven my Sprint for at least 18 months and when I got back behind the wheel I had no clutch. Pedal went down to bulkhead and when I checked Master cylinder there was no fluid in it.
I did fit a new slave cylinder when restoring my car but that was quite a few years ago and the car didn't move a wheel in many years. I also fitted stainless braided pipe between master and slave. I understand that a repair kit for the slave is the same for all our cars bur the master could different. How do I find out which kit I need for my car.
Elan Sprint, May 1971 if that helps.
Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:14 pm

The usual suspects will supply to suit what should be in the car.
If you take it off it will probably tell you the diameter - if not just measure it.
I didn't think that they varied?

If you buy a new master hang on to your old push rod as the modern ones often have the wrong length as standard.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi,
Managed to get a photo off the side of cylinder and it had 5/8 on it so I take it that is the size of repair kit I need.
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes - that's the standard size.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimtass » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:01 pm

Can any one help I’ve fitted a new master cylinder on my 1966 Elan and now the clutch bits at the top of its travel
jimtass
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:50 pm

jimtass wrote:Can any one help I’ve fitted a new master cylinder on my 1966 Elan and now the clutch bits at the top of its travel

Did you use the pushrod from your old master cylinder ? Most replacement master cylinders have pushrods which are too long for the Elan and need to be swapped with the old one. You may not have any free play.
If that isn't the issue then check that you have clearance on the slave cylinder pushrod.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Your slave cylinder has an adjustable pushrod. Correct it there as per the manual.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimtass » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:23 am

Many thanks for your help and reply’s hopefully I can find the old master Cylinder
jimtass
New-tral

Total Online: