Drain the Rear Hubs?

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 pm

I've got the bits back and will shortly begin to build up the struts.

The drive shafts, whilst straight, have corrosion between the bearing surfaces. I've noticed similar on others. This would suggest that moisture / condensation gets in the hub void.

Would it be a good idea to drill a small drain hole at the bottom and fit in a split pin "jiggler" whilst it is all apart? Or a waste of time?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 am

Can the void be packed with grease?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:51 am

John
Depends how deep the fords are round your area.

Grease pack ?...not exactly "adding lightness" , maybe a quick spray all a round with your favourite lubricant...old engine oil is my favourite... plenty on the garage floor.. :)

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 am

h20hamelan wrote:Can the void be packed with grease?

I doubt that would work. It would be impossible to fill it entirely and even then the spinning of the shaft would create a void around the shaft and bearings. Probably make it worse!

john.p.clegg wrote:John
Depends how deep the fords are round your area.
Grease pack ?...not exactly "adding lightness" , maybe a quick spray all a round with your favourite lubricant...old engine oil is my favourite... plenty on the garage floor.. :)
John :wink:

Could fill it with foam as a bouyancy aid? What with raising sea levels it could be an option.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:58 am

Helium filled foam , Colin would be proud of you....

John :lol:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Small hole in the end cap with a blanking grommet - remove and spray inside with anti rust (e.g. ACF50 or similar) or spray can grease when paranoia strikes? :roll:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Wheel bearing grease on the bare steel bits during assembly. Any type of thin oil/spray lube risks contaminating the bearing grease in the (marginal) bearings and seals....
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:08 am

I would remove the rust, maybe treat the shaft with Fertan and then, after bearings in place, cover free areas with quite solid non creeping grease. I use Klever Gun Vaseline, a bit more solid like ordinary Vaseline. In tests it showed very good long time water repellant properties. It does'nt wash off easily. And it would not creep into the bearings. It could also close the gaps between hub, shaft and key after fitting the hub.
Anna
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Emma-Knight wrote:I would remove the rust, maybe treat the shaft with Fertan and then, after bearings in place, cover free areas with quite solid non creeping grease. I use Klever Gun Vaseline, a bit more solid like ordinary Vaseline. In tests it showed very good long time water repellant properties. It does'nt wash off easily. And it would not creep into the bearings. It could also close the gaps between hub, shaft and key after fitting the hub.
Anna

Thanks for that. Fertan is a new product to me.

I was thinking along the line of spraying WaxOil (or equivalent) into the cavity. I note that the steel tube
(inside the hub) could also do with protection.

Perhaps a rivnut into the end cap, spray the void with waxoil etc, then close off with a suitable setscrew. Cover with underseal.

I might give it a try!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:01 am

Just paint it!
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:45 am

+1 for paint it. Upol Acid etch 8 in a rattle can from Halfords. Very tough and long-lasting finish.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: