S4 more stripping.

PostPost by: djb222 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Further to a previous post I have been removing more components from the engine bay and steering column prior to steering rack removal.....a couple of videos.... This is getting more involved than I initially planned!!

https://youtu.be/aiaIMMhk4LY

https://youtu.be/uSugra3fMnk
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Doing more than you expect is par for the course im afraid :)
The steering joint should come off with a bit of physical persuasion
As you plan to replace it, a cold chisel in the jaws to open it and/or a decent amount of heat should break the rust bond.
You can then give it smack with a hammer - perversely you may find it easier to push it on a bit further first to loosen it and then take it off.
Obviously a smear of copaslip when reassembling will pay dividends in the future!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:27 pm

MarkDa wrote:Doing more than you expect is par for the course im afraid :)
The steering joint should come off with a bit of physical persuasion
As you plan to replace it, a cold chisel in the jaws to open it and/or a decent amount of heat should break the rust bond.
You can then give it smack with a hammer - perversely you may find it easier to push it on a bit further first to loosen it and then take it off.
Obviously a smear of copaslip when reassembling will pay dividends in the future!

Remember to take the U/J compression bolt completely out; it slides through an indent in the shaft.

The U/J will not come off with the bolt in place even if it is completely loose.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 pm

I like the color and affirm you're doing the right thing. The shiny chassis and body are really offset by the dingy engine compartment. Hopefully it won't get too much deeper, though that loom does look interesting.

Makes me think about taking my Europa back to the original Safety Yellow from the current Lagoon Blue. But then the orange seats would clash, and...
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: djb222 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 am

Now I'm also going to refresh all the suspension front and rear, steering rack, interior......

Yes the engine loom is a bit crispy in places and is being replaced. Under the dash the loom looks ok.

I must say the Europa was my favourite when I was a spotty kid....maybe one day. There is a cracking S2 at a local (to me) dealer, Sunningdale classics, I had a look at a month ago....however the wife would kill me...

Black seats would go with a colour change.
djb222
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: