GIRLING Mk2B OVERHAUL

PostPost by: silverlink » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi all,
I have just got back my original Girling Mk2B Servo after overhaul by Classicar Automotive and thought you would like to see what a superb job they have done.
I do however have a question regarding the fitting of the vacuum pipe and non-return valve. Picture three below shows the non-return valve that Classicar have fitted to the servo but unfortunately I have lost the union that comes out of the number 1 inlet on the head. I always thought that this was the non-return valve required to make the servo work. My car, a 1971 Sprint has two output unions fitted, one on number 4 inlet which is a non-return for the headlights and the one on No1 which is a single take off for the servo. This one I'm sure was also of the non-return type.
I would be grateful for any information here regarding what should be fitted.
Cheers
Ian
servo-a.jpg and

servo-b.jpg and

servo-c.jpg and
Non-Return Valve
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Normally the Sprint has a brass "L" fitting in number one inlet tract at the end, there is a one way valve in the fitting which is connected to the head light system, the other take off point on the fitting is before the one way valve and is constant vacuum (without a valve) and this is connected to the brake servo which has its own one way valve.

The Plus two car use numbers one and four cylinders for their brakes/headlights, the Sprint only use number one with number four being blanked off.
The brass "L" fitting can be seen in this thread and this pic.
lotus-suspension-f42/servo-one-way-valve-t33760.html#p228762
Attachments
hl-valve-copy.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Ian

I am quite sure that the white hose connection on the servo can is a non return valve type, the red ones are not
so you only need a vacuum take off
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:12 am

Ian ?

Would you share what the cost of the rebuild was?

Thanks,
Alan
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:16 pm

awatkins wrote:Ian ?

Would you share what the cost of the rebuild was?

Thanks,
Alan

Certainly Alan,
The cost was around ?350.00 UK, a bit more than I expected but the servo needed quite a lot doing to it to get it back to tip-top condition. I look at it as anything to do with braking is worth every penny!
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks, Ian. That's quite a bit less than a well-regarded service in the US, White Post, charged me a couple years ago ($1350 for two, or about ?500 each). That would likely make it worth shipping to the UK, especially if you have more than one (I have four that need rebuilding :( ).
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:38 pm

Here's their website.
http://www.classicarautomotive.co.uk/products.html

They advertise prices in the club Lotus magazine and I thought that would be on their website too, but it seems not.

Anyway they are absolute value for money, I have been sending my brake stuff to them for renovation for many many years.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: