Rear wishbones Plus 2, worth it?

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:29 pm

Having just bought adjustable springs/dampers as part of my restoration have reluctantly decided I need to fork out for some new rear wishbones. Was comparing prices and see that Spydercars seem very competitively priced so phoned them up. The guy reckoned it was worth buying the adjustable toe in version. He said running at 2.5 degrees of toe in dramatically improved handling.

What do people think, worth the extra ?100?
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:31 pm

I think they are absolutely the way to go. I am so glad I went the extra dough. My car handled diabolically until they were correctly adjusted. I would not have the equipment and skills to make my own, so the Spyder parts are perfect.

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:57 pm

So many reports of +2s being transformed by the fitting of adjustable arms it make one wonder how many actually handled decently in the first place.

Pressed steel chassis of dubious accuracy with handmade tubular arms. Probably just a matter of luck.

2.5 degrees (presumably each side) seems a lot of toe in. Is that the recommended figure?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Being able to compensate for a ?handmade? car is probably I guess justification enough and anything on top of that a bonus. I think the 2.5 degrees was per side and was Spyder?s recommendation, hopefully some others who have done this might also comment on what setup they use.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 am

Definitely pay the extra.
So easy then to get the factory spec for rear toe in regardless of vagaries of inboard mounts.
Of course if you want to experiment you have the option.
A no brainer I'd say
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 am

Just ordered from Spyder
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 am

When I got mine a few years ago they were the wrong size!
The bushes at the body end wouldnt go between the mounts.
Initially Spyder tried telling me that both my original and genuine lotus chassis along with the orihinal wishbones/Lotus replacements and the dimensions in workshop manual were all wrong because they don't make mistakes!!
Eventually they did exchange them but it was a bit "black is white" for a while.
So just throw a tape at them when they arrive before you strip anything off or waiting until you build.
They are a great product though.
Last edited by MarkDa on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks Mark, noted! Someone else also warned me about Spyder?s dimensional inaccuracies so I will check carefully. Seems a really basic mistake for them to make.
Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:57 am

Ordered mine about a month ago - they arrived quickly and are now on the car. I installed powerflex poly bushings, and had no issues with either bushing fit or fit to chassis or strut housing - all just as expected.

I've only had it out for a quick ride as I have some other work to complete so can't speak to ultimate impact, but the quality of the bones I received was very good - well built with clean welds, etc. and the adjusting mechanism seemingly quite solid. They come powder-coated a fairly flat black, and my experience with powder-coating is that it tends to come off with the slightest abrasion, so I did give mine the POR15 course of cleaning, treating, and painting (gloss black) in hopes of gaining a little more protection and rust prevention.

Have been trying to decide how best to protect the adjusting components once it is setup the way I want it - what are others using? Is wrapping it with a densyl tape a viable long-lasting option?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Are you sure they are powder coated? I asked them last night if they were and they said not. They said it had two coats of primer followed by top coat. With regard protecting the adjusters following set up, how about POR15 followed by a wrap in self amalgamating tape. You would need to cut it off with a scalpel or similar but it would seal it pretty well.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Mine were only painted - probably worth topping up yourself.
Self amalgamating tape sounds like a good idea. Does Denso tape come in black nowadays or still only green?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:34 pm

No, I'm not certain and made an assumption based on appearance, including a few areas where the black had scraped off and clean metal made apparent. If 3 three coats, they were certainly thin ones! Regardless, you will likely want to recoat - mine both look better and are more substantially protected with POR15 and top coat.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:52 pm

POR15 doesn't like DOT4 brake fluid...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:52 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:POR15 doesn't like DOT4 brake fluid...

John :wink:

Does any paint?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:46 pm

Powder coat would probably resist?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear