Rear suspension threaded platform rust prevention

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 am

I?m fitting the TTR adjustable rear suspension. They say that the threaded tube is not plated (so will rust).
What do people do, have it plated, spray it with wax oil or what? Painting does not seem an option as it would hamper subsequent adjustments being made.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 am

I was pondering the same question with my adjustable front shockers a few weeks ago. The two candidates I had to hand were Waxoil and ACF50 liquid http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf-50.htm. I used the latter for the time being as it's easier to apply, doesn't turn everything into a steel wicked candle and has kept my motorcycles mostly rust free in anything short of full on salt covered roads.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:53 am

Thanks Stuart ACF50 sounds like it should do the job, once applied does it ?dry? or remain tacky? Reason for asking is that I'm doing a lot of bodywork so there is a lot of dust everywhere, it would be nice if it did not end up all stuck to the suspension.
Nic
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:43 am

If you warm the can up it up it goes on as a thin oily liquid. Some people buy it as a liquid rather than an aerosol and apply it with a spray gun but I've tended to use a paintbrush. It does dry to a slightly tacky surface but it takes a while. In practice it's "fit and forget" and everything ends up covered in dirt and you think you've wasted your time but once you wash it off everything is pretty much ok underneath. Intense road spray can occasionally remove it but it would have to be something like a week on the autobahn in the rain.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:17 pm

I mentioned this subject to TTR but did not get a suggestion back (the exteriors are painted, the interior are already rusting!

I sprayed some W?rth white grease into mine as a temporary solution. I think I will do this to the outside of my Konis before fitting them inside.

These parts are very nicely made by Gaz (only available from TTR) and I was impressed, other than for the oxidisation starting...
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Well, I suppose that given that most of our cars are not daily drives, it?s a matter of just keeping an eye on them and topping up whatever coating one has chosen
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: