Stainless wheel drive pegs interest?

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:24 pm

After spending $9.75 a piece for unplated carbon steel "top hat" early style flanged drive pegs from one of the UK suppliers I discovered they are +.010" oversized, so useless as there is no standard drill bit available to oversize the hubs to suit. Additionally they are considerably different in shape than the originals. Still trying to get them to respond to my request for a replacement for their poorly made part.

Anyway, desirous of a correctly machined and non rusting solution, I have found a company to reproduce the originals in 303 stainless steel, cost about $8 each if produced in batches of 100 (5 car sets). So anyone interested in a set?
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Steve,

Sorry to hear you had poor service from my countryman. I made my own from 303, but have not yet put wheel to road. I hope there is no disadvantage in using stainless, it seems the obvious choice to me.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:57 am

A while back when restoring an old British motorcycle, I replaced the rear brake plate anchor peg with a stainless item, I don't know what grade stainless was used, but the first time I took the bike for a road test & used the rear brake, the peg sheared off allowing the brake plate to turn, jamming the rear wheel & sitting me on my bum in the middle of the road ! Make sure the stainless isn't too brittle !

Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: