Handbrake Sprint - umbrella style a couple of issues.

PostPost by: bloodknock » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Hello again chaps & chapesses
just looking at refiting my umbrella style handbrake, two issues:
Cant understand why the cable end knob thing wont fit easily into the handbrake shaft end???? I know it originally did because i took it out and have owned the car since dot. I'd swear that the end ball shaped knob has swollen!!!
It has flats on either side which i presume should enable it to easily slot in. I have removed the roll pin to enable the inner shaft to expose the correct aperture in the inner.
Secondly, the mounting bracket on the hand brake has a 3/8 hole in it, which seems excessive for mounting to the body...Is this correct? Should there be some sort of mounting device that engages with this size hole?, possibly a resillient mounting?
Thank folks
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi Bob
Yes it should just drop in and turn round - maybe a photo so we can see the problem?

On rdent website you can see a parts list for plus2 handbrake and this does show a grommet at bulkhead.
I don't have one and cobbled a packing plate on the inside which blanked the bulkhead hole.
Load paths are confusing here as even though one pulls the cable the outer sheath takes it to the body at the adjuster and via handle outer to bulkhead from inside when the ratchet is engaged.

Mark
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:16 pm

Just looked at your post again.
I expect the 3/8 hole is nice fit on handbrake mechanism outer?
Do you want any 'resilience' in a handbrake linkage renowned for being at the lower end of effectiveness?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 pm

The rectangular bracket on the hand brake on my Plus2, has a hole that is much larger than necessary. In fact so large a 1/4" nut would slip right through. Having just spaced the mechanism down to gain easier access to the handle, I took a 1/4" fender washer, and by cutting the sides flat was able to slip it into the bracket. A longer 1/4" bolt to secure and all is well.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Hello Chaps
Thanks for your responses.
I managed to get the cable end "nodule" into the handbrake shaft with a little bit minor "easement". Still dont understand how it changed though!?
Ive also found a photograph of original support fitting, a spiro nut was fitted over the support aperture and a coarse threaded bolt came into it from above. The sze of the bracket hole allows 360 degrees of adjustment movement ....Lotus tollerances!!!!!
Thanks again
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Bob,

I don't really understand your problem, a photo would help. My car, 1968 S4 FHC, had a cylindrical nipple at the handle end of the cable, and the bolt hole through the handle is for a 1/4" bolt.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi,
I used one of these, square up edge of hole fits and holds nicely in place. M6 bolt.
Ron.

p1030238.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Richard
My cable end (original to car) has a spherical end with flattened opposing sides, the sides just too wide prior to fettling to drop into the handbrake inner. I have now assembled it, so no photos, sorry.
The mounting bracket on the brake outer, has a 3/8 diameter hole, which i have subsequently found to be designed to accomodate a Spiro nut clip that accomodates a 1/4 coarse threaded screw, as I said previously, this does allow 360 degrees of freedom in the horizontal plane for minor adjustment.
I do like your solution as an alternative Ron, but as I said, the little buggers in now!
regards
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: