plus 2 front handbrake outer cable

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Mon May 15, 2017 2:08 pm

I have tried without success to purchase the outer cable which runs from the chassis in a loop to the
pistol grip handbrake. It does not seem to have its own part number.
The rest of the system is new, but the front outer is missing.
Might some kind person let me know the length and I shall make the necessary ends and solve the problem.
Of course, if they are available, then even better!
Regards,
Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon May 15, 2017 2:35 pm

It's 24" long on my '70 plus 2. It has no end pieces, just the outer plastic sheath that is trimmed back about 3/8".
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 am

Hi Bill,

As Bud says, there are no end 'ferrules', the adjuster bolt forms one end at the chassis, the other end fits into the hand brake pistol grip & is clamped with a pinch bolt.
I don't think the outer is available separately, it comes as a complete assembly, consisting the outer cable, the adjuster sleeve bolt & locknut, & the inner cable with nipples fitted at each end. Or at least the last one I bought did :D
I'm fairly sure I have an old original one in amongst my bits & pieces, if you need a photo or two, let me know.

Best regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks Tim.
They are not available separately, but the rest of the mechanism is new!
Could you please describe the missing piece. Might allow me to find a workable substiture.
Regards
Bill.
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed May 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Bill, it sounds like you're missing just the outer cable sheath and perhaps the adjuster if it's not threaded into the fitting on the left motor mount tower.

The cable sheath is commonly called "Bowden Conduit". The finished part is 24" long. Mine's actually 24 1/16" long. The length isn't super critical so I'm guessing it's 24" plus or minus 1/16" or so. It's the heavy duty size material. Inside diameter is 3/16" and the outside diameter is about 3/8". The trick, I think, will be finding someone to sell you two feet of the stuff. You might try a marine supplier.

If you're missing the adjuster, it might be harder to source as it too is part of the assembly. If push comes to shove, you could probably make one with the correct size bolt, drilled for the inner cable and a short length of tubing to accept the cable sheath. It's pretty well hidden if originality is a problem. :wink:

Cable adjuster pic added:
hand-brake-adjuster-sm.jpg and
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Thu May 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi Bill,

Bud has explained it fairly well, so not much for me to add. I'll dig out my old cable & send you some photo's via email in the next day or two, with all dimensions for each individual part, that should give you all you need to fabricate something provided you can find the correct outer. Daft idea, but maybe a handbrake cable from a dismantlers yard might yield what you're looking for.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sat May 20, 2017 4:19 am

Thanks all for all your help.
Happily the adjuster is where it should be.
I think the cable, and the crimped piece at the front end, are both a little
bigger in diameter than standard, but will fit.
I shall now search out a suitable outer for the last couple of feet.
So much easier when one knows what it is for which one is searching!
Regards,
Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 am

This Forum constantly reminds us what a brilliant resource it is!
I obtained an outer for the front end of the handbrake cable.
The swaged end of the inner cable was about a millimeter too big to fit the inside of the new outer cable which was about 4.7mm but with gentle use of a dremmel a fit was obtained.
I cut the new outer to suit the available length of the inner cable. I think the actual length of the outer is not particularly important. I adjusted the length of the outer so when it was housed in the adjuster and when, with a pair of pliers, the inner was fully pulled forward, the gap between the working surface of the swage and the front face of the attachment shown in the photograph was 40mm.
At the time, the adjuster was fully slackened.
Regards
Bill
Attachments
cable.jpg and
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: