Brake pads (again)!

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:49 am

I've searched the archive, but I can't find the answer to my problem. The brakes on my S2 (no servo) are not good, taking a significant amount of pressure to effect a stop. When I rebuilt the car I fitted new pads that I already had in my stock. Problem is that I've had 5 Elans in the past ( and 2 Europas and 2 plus2s) so I've probably fitted pads that are too hard for a non-servo car. When I rechecked my stock it turns out I have 3 more (yes three) brand new sets ( don't ask, I don't know why :roll: ) I'd like to identify which of these is the softest and rather than work my way through trying them all, I thought someone might know the differences: This is what I have:

Ferodo 243 CF FE S37 - currently fitted
EBC Green Stuff DP 2114
EBC M 020 DGH 533 - these have a vertical slot running down the centre of the pad material
Lucas GDB 533. WVA 20. 088 14 40 KBA 60374

I've written down the full numbers on the boxes as I don't know which are relevant.
I emphasis that these are all brand new, well NOS, so I am reluctant to buy another set if I already have suitable ones. Can anyone help? BTW I have tried to de- glaze the disc, but it didn't help
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53 am

Geoff,
Greenstuff pads are slightly uprated over stock, I would try those first. https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/partno/dp2114
I used to run them on my +2 without servo (pre Zetec) worked okay, but not as well as the Ferodo DS pads I run now http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... s-axle-set

I can't find any reference on the EBC site for your M 020 DGH 533
Ferodo 243 are standard road pads

I have a friend who runs an S2 with dual circuit brakes, no servo and the stopping power of the brakes was appalling, it was cured by running Ferodo DS2500 pads which are meant for race and will wear quickly on a day to day modern, but no problem on a light road car like an Elan.

There is a bedding in procedure for the EBD greenstuff pads, you might need to check that online.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Nice one Alan.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks Alan, but I don't really want to buy yet another set. :( No, I can't find any reference to the EBC ones either and I thought the Green Stuffs, and the DS 2500 were slightly harder for mild race conditions. Looks like I might have try out what i have in some sort of order, maybe starting with the Greens and then the EBCs with the slot down the middle.........or maybe the other way round....... :? ........then again.... :lol:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Green stuff are uprated road pads. They will give more bite in all conditions. I posted the link above. It mentions they are particularly suitable for lightweight cars.

Give them a try
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:22 pm

I use green stuff, first class items
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm

I have a single circuit, 5/8" master with Green stuff on the +2. So they seem ok, a little more initial bite might be nice but they don't require a lot of force.

If I were you I think I'd check what master size you are running to make sure it's 0.7" and fit the green stuff, then asses after bedded in in the pads. After than you can either try other pads to see if they are softer or swap to a 5/8" master. Which will soften and length the pedal.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:30 am

Just fitted the Green Stuffs. No chance to try them out yet as there are frequent heavy showers down here this morning. But.........I did notice that the top ball joint rubber was split on both sides :( The ball joints themselves are fine as they have covered few miles even though they're at least 25 years old. (If you followed my rebuild thread you will remember that the chassis and suspension were all replaced/rebuilt in the early 90s by Mick Miller, but the project stalled at that time......what dya mean you didn't follow it :lol: ). Anyway the rubbers have clearly perished although I didn't notice when I continued the rebuild 3 years ago. My question then is, can you buy the rubber separately. I've done a search, but cannot find the answer. Maybe someone has a pair that are in reasonable condition that they don't need? :mrgreen:

Edit: right I'm being a dimwit :? eBay have a wide variety of rubber gaiters, but nothing Elan specific. Would Triumph Herald /Spitfire be suitable? I've seen some which show 15mm small dia, and 30mm larger dia, are these suitable? Sorry, am I being even more of a dimwit?? ( you don't have to answer that :mrgreen: )
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:25 am

Just to update on my brake pad choices. I've tried the Green Stuffs and didn't really notice much difference, but am now using the EBC M 020 with the vertical slot. Much, much better, so I'll be sticking with them for now. Still can't find any reference for them online though, so not sure how this might help anyone else, but then you never know :D . If the weather's OK I'm hoping to be at Combe, so hope to meet up with a few of you there.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
1970 Scimitar GTE
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rady32md » Mon May 22, 2017 10:11 am

My car has the Greenstuff pads and so far I have no complaints. Very reliable stopping power.
rady32md
New-tral

Total Online: