AVO rear strut inserts - +2

PostPost by: jono » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:15 am

I've just fitted new AVO adjustable inserts in place of red Konis which, though very comfy, I have struggled with to find a decent setting for fast road use.

I have 2.25" 120lb Faulkner springs on the rear and TTR fast road spring damper units on the front set at about 6

Can anyone comment on a decent starting point in terms of settings on these AVO rear inserts? Clearly they are adjustable on the car (with a bit of fiddling about) but as an initial start point should I be at the lower range or higher range of the damping/rebound rate?

They are reduced stroke (by around 35mm from std) if that make any difference

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 pm

...perhaps I'm the first to use them?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:04 pm

I would refit the Konis :shock:
Ditched my rear AVOs on the rear of the Elan and will be replacing all four on my Caterham when funds allow. In my experience they require frequent refurbishment and I have found the customer service generally grumpy.
Just my opinion, of course.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm

...can anyone comment on initial settings?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JR44 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi i have the same shocks they way i set them up was turning the shock adjusters all the way to the hardest point around 16 turns then backed them off 3 full turns and seems to be fine but you need to do some miles to let them settle .. worked for me
Hope this helps
Thanks
John
JR44
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks John,

That's interesting as I measured mine at just under 6 full turns to full hard and so backed of 3 turns as a starting point (mid way) - they must be a different version of AVO insert?

I've done 140 miles today and it's difficult to comment other to say the rear is now way too hard. The reason for this is however obvious in hindsight - a reduced travel shock also needs a shorter spring!

I just fitted my previous 14" 120lb Faulkners without realising these are now wound up much more than before due to the reduced travel in the shock insert that there's too much pre-load which makes the rider very hard.

I have ordered some 12" versions which I hope will get me to where I need to be. Can't really evaluate damping until I sort the springs.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Faulkners really helpful when I spoke to them on spring selection and spoke good common sense but referred me to AVO for back up.

AVO could not have been more disinterested - they referred me to Kelvedon (strut insert suppliers). Kelvedon tried to be helfpul but in relation to a query on spring rates and lengths said to set the inserts on full soft and see how you go from there...dohhh.

Customer service appears to be a hit and miss affair these days.

Worked out that my current springs are holding nearly 500lbs of pre load which accounts for the rock solid rear!

Beware with these reduced stroke dampers.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:41 am

One of Chapman's key design criteria on the Elan was to use softer, long travel suspension with good geometry to give much better ride and handling than other contemporary sports cars...............
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: